Water-reservoir vacuum cleaner

When I was a child, our family had a very effective vacuum cleaner that collected the dirt/dust in a large water reservoir. We filled the water reservoir with clean water when we started and dumped out the thick dark water when we were done. It was an effective way to vacuum without the air getting dusty. I haven't seen such a vacuum cleaner in many years. Does anyone know of such a product that is available today? Thanks.
Google Rainbow. They are still around.
tenplay wrote:

tenplay wrote:

That likely was and is the Rainbow.
It is not available in stores (or at least was not).
I was high quality, worked well. It also was way over priced, and awkward as well as heavy.
It did a good job of trapping dust, but you had to empty the water after each use.
I would suggest taking a look at some of the HEPA filter dry machines on the market today. A read of the last Consumer Reports Magazine review would also be a good idea. You local library should have a copy.
I was considering one before I got my central system. When I fist called them about 15 years ago they wanted $575 for it. After about a dozen phone calls from them they got down to offering me the same one for $150. If they had done that on the first call I likely would have bought it. I am glad they did not, I like the central system far better. (yea I had the opportunity to use a Rainbow quite a few times.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If using water is a good way to trap the dirt/dust from vacuuming, wouldn't it make a good system on a central vac?

Not really since the vaccum motor is outside. If it blows a little extra dust around the yard who's gonna notice?
Steve B.

CU tested a Rainbow along with several others quite a few years back and it was definitely NOT one of the best for cleaning nor was the exhaust all that dust free. A HEPA or similar system would be much better and a whole lot less trouble.