Water pump / sprinkler

With that low a pre-charged and such a big sprinkler I am not surprised at the short cycle time. You do not need an expensive compressor, a hand pump will do 40psi. There are also small 'non- tank' compressors which is what I have. Very useful and not very spendy. Campbell-Hausfeld Power Pal.
Pump cycle time is not a one-size fits all. It depends on:
Tank size Pre-charge pressure Pump output (how much water does it pump/how fast) How much water is going through the sprinklers.
Without knowing all of those, no one can give a meaningful answer.
Someone else has asked (and I meant to) whether you have a filter in the system. If it is after the tank it can cause the 'just dribbling effect' and low pressure. Any whole system (filters all the water) should be installed in the line between the pump and the pressure tank.
Harry K

Just a quck thought. Do you have a filter after the pressue tank? If so when was the last time you changed it. My sprinklers would not work properly due to lower pressure after about 20 seconds of being on. This kept on happening.
I changed the filter to dump out all the clogged earth etc. Then sprinklers worked fine.
Best, Mike.

wow hobbes...thats crazy that you recommended that.. because I also did that yesterday while adding the air to the tank. Maybe thats what fixed everything. My sediment filter was clogged pretty good.