Water pump, running correctly??

Now that the cause to the OPs question has probably been found? Namely and most likely a ruptured or leaking bladder problem.......... maybe an informational question for personal edification? Please.

Since 1960 until around 1979 we used two shallow well systems. In our first house was a Duro (possibly still in use with fourth owner of that property) and the second as below, a MacDonald. One third HP each with venturi-jet adaptable pump plus attached tank.

Recently had to scrap the pressure tank of the second shallow well tank plus pump system. This second one had been unused since water and municipal water and sewer were installed. The unit had been used for some nine years (1970 to 1979) or so before being retired and had now been sitting under the bench for some 30+ years!

The pump was fine; we took it apart and cleaned out a little bit of crud. The impeller was fine; motor and pressure switch OK etc. Reassembled using stainless bolts. Little bit of a repaint; good as new!

But the tank had numerous low pressure leaks, found by hooking it up to the outlet of a vacuum cleaner and using soap solution. But as far as one could see no evidence of a bladder of any kind. In fact wasn't even aware of such a thing until have seen it mentioned on this news group.

So is/are there a simpler (cheaper) models not using a bladder system? Such as the ones we have used?

TIA for any informational comments.

Reply to
stan

ng will

have to

n.- Hide quoted text -

Oooppss, (slaps forhead)I was looking at it 'upside down' - yes it could have blown it.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

ght to me.

long will

of the

l have to

item.

urn.- Hide quoted text -

I was ging to say it would depend which 'side' you were on. Of the bladder that is !!!!! Sorry, attempt at bad joke :-)

Reply to
stan

ng will

have to

n.- Hide quoted text -

The 'non bladder' is very old technology and were a nuisance to maintain. There were 'snifter' and 'float valves' to automatically keep the tank filled but they failed often. Then the pre-charge had to be adjusted regularly, every month or two and that required draiing the tank.

I don't know if new ones are even available any more. In any case, the cost of a new bladder tank is not a high-ticket item. I for sure, after maintaining both types for over 30 years now, would never install a non-bladder one.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

ght to me.

long will

of the

l have to

item.

urn.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply althogh AFIK we didn't have any 'sniffer valve' failures in some 19 years, a waterlogged tank I think once? Interesting thing was the Duro would self prime but the second, no deeper had to be primed to draw up water. Very little trouble with either one. Cheers.

Reply to
stan

As a child we had a plain simple tank. When the pump would start short cycling we turned of the supply and drained all the water out of the tank. (I was doing it by the time I was 10.) Then with the tank full of air turned on the pump again and with the pressure of the water, the air in the tank was pressurized. The only problem is that the air in the tank starts to dissolve into the water, until most of the air is gone and it starts to short cycle again. That's the reason for the bladder, to separate the air from the water.

Reply to
Tony