Water pressure backup sump pump

After the recent (Oct 12) 24 inch lake effect snowfall here in the Buffalo area (no jokes please) we endured four days without power. (Many fared worse.) We managed to bail the sump for two days then begged and borrowed generator power for two days to avoid a flooded basement. I am interested in a water pressure backup pump but have been told that the capacity to pump water is limited and may end up with a flooded basement anyway. I have considered a battery backup but for extended power outages the battery doesn't last. I doubt we'll experience that kind of outage again but I'd like to be prepared. The other alternative is a generator...either way, a serious investment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Zimmerman

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman

Be glad you didn't have 17 days with no power like we did with Hurricane Frances. Then a 6 days after it was restored, we had 10 more days without after Jeanne... The next year Wilma, and it was 4 days..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

A small generator isn't that expensive (~$500 for something decent) and in addition to keeping your sump pump active it will also sustain your refrigerator and furnace along with some lighting.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Charles, I'm sure that is very comforting.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Did you look at the printed gpm output and spec sheet,

or
on a 24 hr basis, its impressive. Go water powered and get a cheap 2 stroke gas pump, Echo makes a good unit. Battery powered are in my opinion not good, since batterys only last 5-7 yrs and you wont know when they go bad, plus they dont pump much till they are dead, only a few hours on New batteries.

Reply to
m Ransley

If you already had 4 days without power why not just get a genertor and transfer panel.

Reply to
m Ransley

generator ONLY works if your physically home to set it up.

Is your sump ABOVE ground level somewhere on your property?

A lot of homes here are like that, let the pump do its thing but add a overflow drain line to a low area well away from home if you can

this takes care of power failures, sump pump failures, check valve failures and a long list ofother failures espically important if a flooded basement can do real harm, like mucking up a gameroom.

for under 5 grand home depot has auto start standby generators installed to run the essentials.

kinda nice if the power fails in the winter your home stays nice and warm:) even if you arent there no eturn home to frozen pipes and smashed toilets

Reply to
hallerb

Bigger sump, and a manual pump. Why are you getting that much water into your basement in the first place?

Reply to
Goedjn

I want a backup that will be available if I am not at home when the power goes out.

NZ

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman

Any recommendations for generators?

NZ

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman

The housing development was built on very swampy land in 1970-71...plus, we had 24 inches of wet snow that melted in two days followed by lots of rain.

NZ

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman

Thanks for your responses. They are very helpful. I bought a 1200 watt inverter but need to find the short cables. I still want something that will help when I am not at home...

Nathan Zimmerman

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman

I have friends in Buffalo, they were out of power from the 12th through to a Saturday, musta been the 21. They also have a sump.

I was considering doing a cellar pumping business, but wasn't sure how to advertise. A couple friends of mine offered to be my secretary, but neither came through. And the window of oportunity was only a couple days.

Most battery backup sumps are 12 volts, which means you can charge the battery with jumper cables off your car's power. Since a lot of folks bought generators, look for them in the news paper or Swap Sheet in about six months. As folks relax, and don't need the generator any more. So they think.

Another option is a power inverter, and short cables to clip onto your vehicle battery, while engine is running. Use short battery cables, and a long extension cord. AC 110 volts travels a lot better.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you want a "not home" generator. Then look online for home backup geneators. Northern Tools, and Harbor Freight come to mind. If you want ot put it in yourself. You'll need a visit from the building department, disconnect switch, some heavy wiring, etc.

Better idea. Call an electrician for a quote, you'll need a sparky to put it in for you.

Portable gasoline power, check swap sheet in about six months.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

home depot sells the auto stanby generators that run on natural gas or propane, everything ius automated, it works wether or not your home.

natural gas is good in a emergency with no power gasoline is likely unavilable, gas stations need power to pump and they can run out

Reply to
hallerb

Drop a line to the local fire department(s).

Reply to
Goedjn