water pressure

So.. my girlfriend and I are in bed the other night.. And at 11:30 a public work truck pulls up to the house and proceeds to do all this hammering for over an hour.. We paid it no mind because we thought they were replacing a fallen street sign from a few weeks ago.. The next morning we leave the house and notice a steady stream of water coming from under the water meter hole cover.. (note- the water in the house was working fine at the time).. I lifted the cover and it was completly filled with water. The way that the covers are situated along the street, it looks like there are two meters in each well (a cover right at the property lines between each house as the row of homes continues up the street). we suppose the neighbor had their water cut off..

So a call to the city about this resulted in an apparent fix when we got home.. Then when we got in the house, a turn of the faucet results in spits and sputters and brown water coming out.. The brown water went away, but there is a definite reduction in water pressure.. The worst is the bathroom sink upstairs not working.. just a trickle as opposed to a spray of water..

What could have caused THIS? the pressure seems to be ok... but from a healthy stream of water to a trickle in one sink in the entire house?

Reply to
Chris

Probably some crap in the pipe got through and is clogging the valve or aerator.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They were cleaning the pipes, I've seen them do that in my neighborhood on occasion. It does produce a steady stream of shitty water until all the sediment gets flushed out. Ed suggested that your aerator is plugged - probably right.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Reply to
jacko

Whenever you see a crew working on the water on your street, it's a good idea to flush your pipe from the street by running water at a faucet near to where the water comes into the house ( an outside hose faucet is best) until the water runs clear. This will help flush the crud out and prevent it coming into the house, water heater, etc.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F