Water pipes going to explode?

Hey all,
I've been in my house for 4 months, however it is 14 years old. I am on municipal water, not a well.
After turning off the shower this morning, I noticed a rather loud buzzing/moaning/vibrating noise coming from the pipes when I turned off the shower and faucet. It made no noise when the water was running, the water temp and pressure were fine, and I haven't noticed this anywhere else in the house before. 10 minutes later I then turned on the shower and then turned it off, and it made the noise again. I then tried it again 5 minutes later, nothing.
Again, this has not happened before in the house. Could it just have been air in the pipes, or something much more serious? Thanks John

it wouldn't do it twice in a row.
Is it only on the hot water lines? Hot water lines move when they get heated up by the hot water passing through them. If they are not supported properly, they can be pretty noisy. That would be my first guess, unless it is also happening on the cold also. Then they might be getting ready to explode. Just kidding, but have you measured your pressure? If that is way too high it could cause odd things.
I think that if you have air in the pipes it will eventually come spurting out.
Someone else may know better than me, but it's possible that you may have a pipe (i assume copper) that normally is secured down with a sort of plumber's tape. It may have gotten loose and can now vibrate freely when water flows through it.
Probably something you'd like to correct, as it could eventually fatigue the connections and cause some leakage.
Once again, someone may correct me here.

Could be as simple as a wearing washer in the faucet. Sometimes when the water psses it vibrates and can be heard loudly as it is transmitted by the pipes.

'Ask This Old House' addressed such a problem and it turned out to be a worn toilet tank valve. I wouldn't have ever guessed that.

Google for "water hammer". That is likely what you have.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

<SNIP>
2 possibles:
Some brands of toilet ballcocks (fill valve) will set up a fog-horn type of moaning noise that resonates throughout. And only do it when triggered by some change in pressure (like opening and closing a shower faucet).
Either shut off the supply to each toilet or have someone else hold the tank float up. Then see if you can re-create the noise. This test will rule in or out the toilets.
Second, if the house has a pressure reducing valve (regulator) on the incoming service, these can cause noises under certain circumstances. Find the PRV (if there is one) and hold your hand on it while someone makes the noise happen. Should be able to tell if it is coming from the PRV.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It can be any of a number of issues, all of which are cheap. You can smile now.
As noted water hammer, and valves going bad are the most common. Sometimes the water pressure coming into the house is too high or a regulator has failed allowing the interior pressure to be too high.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

to do a bit of research. MLD
Hi MLD,
OT....
did you ever resolve the electrical noise with the furnace from back in March?
Mark
I have seen (heard) the same thing with loose washers in valves. Take the valves apart and tighten the screws holding the faucet washers in place.
Stretch
I have tested med gas system ( copper pipe ) with a 160LBS pressure. So I would not worry about the pipes exploding. If it is air harmer turn off the water to the house drain the water out of the piping. Open all of the fixtures. What you are trying to do is get water out of the air chambers. Once the system is drained refill. Water dose not compress the air acts as a shock absorber. usually air hammer is a loud banging noise so that may be the problem. Draining the system about once a year is a good idea anyway. When the water is back on you will get air out of the fixtures for a few minuets.