Water pipe size questions

I went to HD and listened to a nice sales pitch about PEX. The pipe itself seems to be a good idea. Then I found how much the connectors (sharkbite) cost and about wet myself. Compared copper + cheap f/f coupler, versus pex + expensive sharkbite. Came home with a load of copper pipe.
Seriously, are those things lined with gold? Copper may not be cheap, but holy crud the cost of sharkbite connectors for what I am doing would have cost more than all the copper I bought. And for a job this small, it's not realy worth buying the tool and pieces parts to make my own connectors.
Maybe next time I'll consider pex. Maybe when the price of connectors comes down...

Sharkbites are a bit spendy bit they;re quick and easy. You can rent a PEX crimper or an expansion tool.
PEX connections can be completely made up (expansion style) faster than cutting and cleaning copper....forget the sweating.
Hell....if oyu pay the shipping I'll rent you my hand expander for a couple weeks.
I was / am pretty "old school" about a lot of stuff, I agonized of the choice of copper vs PEX. My PEX re-pipe is coming up on 3 years now, no problems. I'm glad I used PEX, only four joints per fixture. And it snakes great through an old house...minimal demo.
I used the home run design. So I have minimal joints.
I dont know the layout of oyur plumbing system but 1/2 copper can carry a fair amount of water. I'd guess the problem is not the tubes / pipes.
cheers Bob
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:34:59 -0600, Zootal

Just for clarity, "sharkbite" connectors are not an essential component or part of a PEX system - just something folks use, if they like.
I can see your shock about cost, but they are not needed...

And an additional point - the economics of PEX have to be looked at as a system - and that includes labor, not just material. If a two man crew can plumb an entire house in a day with PEX, but sweating copper would take a week, paying more for the material makes sense.

Try removing the showerhead and soaking it in Limeaway or similar product...Worked for me and we have softened water...Worked like new again...
Do other water devices in the house have good flow? Garden hose, fill the mashing machine, sink, etc?
You didn't mention what type of pope. Galvanized is noted for closing down, but PVC and copper less likely.
As a quick and easy test, I'd suggest to take the shower head off the angled pipe. Turn the water on, and see if you have good water flow. It won't be very good for showring. But, it will help with the diagnosis. Others have suggested ways to clear a restricted shower head.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

i had a similer problem with pressure and it seemed the hot was not so hot even with the heater turned up beyond recomondations ... turned out a rubber gromet piece inside the valve on the hot side behind the mixer had broken off and blcoked more than half the flow, the mixer slowed down to componsate .. one of those no scald valves