Water not working in Kitchen

Okay here's my problem. The kitchen sink faucet was leaking, so I was going to install a new one. I shut off the water valves under the sink (or so I thought). I twisted the hot and cold water handles to make sure I'd properly cut off the water supply to both. No water came out. So I started unscrewing the faucet handles, and then water started running out of the faucet for about 3-5 seconds and then stopped. I turned the valves back on to make sure my water still worked, and no water came out of the faucet. Not only that, but my dishwasher doesn't work now either. The motor runs, but no water. The water still works everywhere else in my apartment, it's just the sink and dishwasher that don't. Can anyone help?

It is possible that the valves you closed did not open again. They may be corroded internally after years of non-use. If they are ahead of the dishwasher fill line, that would be shut off also. If that is the case, the water must be shut off at the main coming in and the valves replaced.
Something to try, can you push in the handles a little bit? If so, push in and turn the valve counterclockwise to see if it opens.
Thanks for the reply. There's 3 valves, one for cold water, one for hot water, and one for the dishwasher. I'm guessing the dishwasher one is connected to the hot water one, because when I push in one of those, the other moves in too. I could turn those handles fairly easy, but the cold water handle won't turn at all. This is an old apartment building, so I'm guessing that one is corroded. But shouldn't the hot water and dishwasher work since I can turn those handles? Or are they somehow connected to the cold water valve?
Just checking. If it is an apartment, can the landlord take care of it?