Water Noise

We live in a two story home. There is a lot of noise coming through the pipe every time somebody is using the sink or taking a shower. It is not a banging sound, but rather water flowing through the pipe noise.Especially if people use the bathroom upstairs. Turn down the water does not help much. I am wondering if the water pressure is too high. Does anyone know anyway I can reduce or even eliminate this annoying noise ?
Thanks, John
Johnnie wrote:

Assuming city water supply-put a pressure gauge on the incoming supply. You can get one that screws onto a hose bibb. If it reads in the 50 PSI range, it's OK. If up in the 75 PSI or higher range, install a pressure reducing valve on the service. Note: You will also need to add a thermal expansion tank on the water heater.
Jim
The cause of the noise is the construction, so you will just have to learn to live with it. The noise is due to the valves and to the pipes being attached to the structure is such a way that the flow noise are transmitted to and amplified by the walls. You may be able to reduce the noise by adjusting the supply valves at each fixture or buying more expensive replacement valves, but that is just a crap shoot. Also reducing the water pressure may (or may not) reduce the noise volume, but probbly will be ineffective or unsatisfactory. 80 psi is standard where I live.
Johnnie wrote:

John:
J > We live in a two story home. There is a lot of noise coming through J > the pipe every time somebody is using the sink or taking a shower. It J > is not a banging sound, but rather water flowing through the pipe J > noise.Especially if people use the bathroom upstairs. Turn down the J > water does not help much. I am wondering if the water pressure is too J > high. Does anyone know anyway I can reduce or even eliminate this J > annoying noise ?
PVC sewer pipe, perhaps? Very noisy compared to something like cast iron. Acoustic insulation will probably solve some of the noise problem but you're talking making holes in the ceiling or floor to get to the pipe.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* TODAY'S OXYMORON: a twelve-ounce pound cake.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971