water meter malfunction

Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Hi, Don't you know if any device has moving parts, it can always break and malfunction, right?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Doubtful. More likely the prior reading was incorrectly taken.

Reply to
jamesgang

restate your question using more words.

Reply to
mike

Agree. More words.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

many years ago my meter broke it at most was recoding on 1/4 of the water used, must of been a broken gear, the meter became noisey.

so i locked out my caller ID and called the water company requesting a outside reading water meter. they said 2 years to get it installed.

so i said i wouldnt tell them who i was, unless they installed to outside reading meter since they had to come in any case to install a new meter....

the gal got her bosses approval, but said you know this is black mail........

i said yeah i know, but it worked.

my elderly grandma could barely walk and didnt like peolple coming in the house.

so this worked for me.

back on topic, lets assume the water source quit, but lots of air pressure somehow got pushed thru the line.

the air motion might get recorded as water used?

Reply to
bob haller

Not from what I've seen/ I have a meter on a condensate return line ad it frequently had air passing throu but never moved.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It may happen when several nines are turning to zeros.

Reply to
recyclebinned

It is possible for an inexperienced meter reader to misread the old clock-type meters. Way off one month, then back to "reality" the next.

Our gas meter reader did that a few months before they changed the meter to a "digital" meter. -

Reply to
clare

My parents old gas meter, every other dial turned left, or right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Virtually all dial meters worked that way

Reply to
clare

Three day investigation on this including on-site inspection including coun ty water department (in my presence) plus discussion with plumber leads me to believe something I've not heard of...water theft. Either someone with a 20K gal t ank drove up while no-one was home and hooked up to exterior outlet, filled up and drove away or also under cover of dark when when no-one there ran g arden hose several hundred feet and filled their swimming pool. I want to ask my insurer if my policy (which includes theft) covers this type of thef t. My problem is that a few years back it was documented that any enquir y about one's policy, in many cases, led to increases in premiums some time later. Rather than for that to happen I would rather bite the bullet in t his incident and pay than to risk increase in premium... I would but a loc k on exterior outlets.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

No need for a lock---On the inside I have a ball valve in line with the outside shut off valve. In the winter I open the outside valve to prevent a frozen pipe. MLD

Reply to
MLD