water meter malfunction

Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?
Frank Thompson wrote:

Hi, Don't you know if any device has moving parts, it can always break and malfunction, right?
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:19:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:

Doubtful. More likely the prior reading was incorrectly taken.
On 12/10/2013 12:19 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:

restate your question using more words.
On 12/10/2013 3:46 PM, mike wrote:

Agree. More words.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/10/2013 9:26 PM, bob haller wrote:

Not from what I've seen/ I have a meter on a condensate return line ad it frequently had air passing throu but never moved.
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:19:14 PM UTC-8, Frank Thompson wrote:

It may happen when several nines are turning to zeros.
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:01:46 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is possible for an inexperienced meter reader to misread the old clock-type meters. Way off one month, then back to "reality" the next.
Our gas meter reader did that a few months before they changed the meter to a "digital" meter. -
On 12/11/2013 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My parents old gas meter, every other dial turned left, or right.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Virtually all dial meters worked that way
Three day investigation on this including on-site inspection including coun ty water department (in my presence) plus discussion with plumber leads me to believe something I've not heard of...water theft. Either someone with a 20K gal t ank drove up while no-one was home and hooked up to exterior outlet, filled up and drove away or also under cover of dark when when no-one there ran g arden hose several hundred feet and filled their swimming pool. I want to ask my insurer if my policy (which includes theft) covers this type of thef t. My problem is that a few years back it was documented that any enquir y about one's policy, in many cases, led to increases in premiums some time later. Rather than for that to happen I would rather bite the bullet in t his incident and pay than to risk increase in premium... I would but a loc k on exterior outlets.
Three day investigation on this including on-site inspection including county water department (in my presence) plus discussion with plumber leads me to believe something I've not heard of...water theft. Either someone with a 20K gal tank drove up while no-one was home and hooked up to exterior outlet, filled up and drove away or also under cover of dark when when no-one there ran garden hose several hundred feet and filled their swimming pool. I want to ask my insurer if my policy (which includes theft) covers this type of theft. My problem is that a few years back it was documented that any enquiry about one's policy, in many cases, led to increases in premiums some time later. Rather than for that to happen I would rather bite the bullet in this incident and pay than to risk increase in premium... I would but a lock on exterior outlets.
No need for a lock---On the inside I have a ball valve in line with the outside shut off valve. In the winter I open the outside valve to prevent a frozen pipe. MLD