Water lingering in washing machine

I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the tub. Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? It gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have time to get stagnant.
Thanks for any info.
Mike
Mike wrote:

You have checked the filter?
Clot wrote the following:

Why would the inlet filter (actually a screen to catch sediment before it enters the machine) cause water to remain in the machine?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:07:16 -0400, willshak wrote:

Some have a pump filter or at least a trap before the pump to catch heavy items. This is sometimes accessible from the front but usually not.
In typed:

It's normal on all machines; it guarantees a "trap" is provided for the dishwasher. If the water evaporates dry you'll often get a sewer odor. Want to prove it? Set the draini so it's not properly looped and watch/smell as the water gets almost completely gone. I haven't yet seen one that didn't have water left in it between washes.
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:58:58 -0400, Twayne wrote:

Didn't mean a drain trap. But rather a trap before the pump to allow heavy items that make it past the basket from entering the pump. Theory is that say small stones etc... flow from the basket in the water. Before the water enters the pump gravity pulls them down into the trap. Over years this can accumulate and cause flow problems to the pump. It's usually not user serviceable unless there is a provision made to access it without disconnecting the washer and working on it from the rear or underneath.
On 9/4/2010 8:28 AM, Hugh Jassolle wrote:

I thought OP was talking about CLOTHES washing machines, not dishwashers?
--
aem sends, puzzled....

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 08:40:14 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Yep but the person I replied to said a trap was needed on "all machines" I was explaining I didn't mean a drain trap but rather a debris trap to protect the pump impeller.

Not. The plumbing for a clothes washer includes a trap. But it is normal for somw water to remain behind in the drum below the bottom of the basket. And is it a problem for people that very infrequently use their clothes washers.

is it a top or side load? if side, it's supposed to according to maytag. mine does the same and it's a side load.

Yep. We have Maytag "front loader" washers in our laundry room and they all retain large amounts of water between loads. Turn the drums and you can hear it sloshing around. OTOH, I had a top-of-the-line GE washer/dryer set (top loader washer) for years and don't ever recall any remaining water.
Why not just call an appliance repair shop, parts store, or even used appliance store and ask.
nb

What's the make and model?

== Normal condition...the pump can't exhaust all of the water. Do nae worry your head over it. ==