Water in traps

I noticed (lurking in here) that someone advised to put cellophane over the toilet to keep the water in the trap from evaporating and allowing sewer gasses in the house (when away for an extented period).
I realized after reading that, that I let that happen last year and when I got home I just turned the water back on and nothing happened. Is there a particular danger in this. I left it the same way this year..
Thanks CP

That sounds pretty extreme to me. Might be a good idea if your going to be a guest of the state fore a couple years. Put a glass of water in the bathroom see how long it takes to evaporate.

if some bozo dumped say gasoline down the sewer in your neighborhood the gasoline vapors might get iinto your home and BAM...
or put some anti freeze in traps it evaporates much slower than water
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Make that the special anti-freeze made for that, you can find it at RV centers. The regular stuff is hazardous.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Mon, 21 May 2007 21:58:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

The cellophane over the bowl will help reduce evaporation of the water. It is suggested by some folks that live in a home seasonally (six months of the year). I've heard some Realtors talk about it; when a home is on the market for an extended period.
Also, using vegetable oil (in lieu of 'anti-freeze") in the sink traps will slow evaporation.
-- Oren
On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:29:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

Wont that rot and stink?

Mixed with water in the trap? If the water dries out I know the smell. Suppose one cup or less of oil per trap added to the water. I can't imagine a real terrible smell.
I never heard of anti-freeze in a toilet, until I read it here. :-)
-- Oren
Thanks...Good to know I didn't do something wrong...again..I put the (made for the home) antifreeze in my Pa home when I go away. Works great if you follow directions. I also found you can pay a little for it or ALOT..
Fortunalty I looked around at HD and found the cheap one..
I doubt I'll use antifreeze in fla. I did spray a little bit of water/bleach solution in the traps (before leaving) to keep down the mold. I smelled it when I returned last fall. I'm hopin' that helps this year..
People told me to get a humidistat. But I'm thinkin' the hurricanes will blow the whole shooting match away this year. One can hope..
Charles Pisano wrote:

Well, it does more than just block the odors. Keeps those sewer bugs from crawling up the drain pipe and taking up residence in your home while you are away. Put some of the "antifreeze" in every drain and you won't have the sewer bugs or odors.
--
Grandpa

On Mon, 21 May 2007 21:58:09 -0400, Charles Pisano wrote:

Just have to remember to remove the cellophane before you use it. And dont let it drop into the toilet. Other than that, it should be fine.