Water in oil tanks

I don't know if I have water in my tanks but I'd like to add something (methanol?) to them to make sure I don't by adding something (what's the best choice?) prior to the next filling. I have three steel 330 gallon tanks of #2 fuel oil in my basement connected in parallel feeding a furnace fired at 2 gph flow rate.
I've asked several local oil dealers and discovered that they don't add anything, nor do they stock any additives.

I guess that should give you a little clue, then...
"> I've asked several local oil dealers and discovered that they don't

I've seen fuel oil treatment at plumbing supply houses.
Go to a truckers repairshop, they should have diesel stabilizer and treatments that you can use. Diesel is identical or very close to fuel oil depending on region.

I'll second that. Even Dri-Gas will do the trick.
If your tanks are in the basement, I wouldn't worry too much about getting water in them. Sure, over the years you may get condensation, but it wouldn't be much. Do you have a way of "sticking" (measuring) the tank? They make a water paste that you smear on the end of a stick and will change colors if water is present.
Still can't believe an oil company doesn't have any type of additive.....

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

Same here. I got mine at the local NAPA auto parts store. Of course that one's customer base is mostly big farmers running lots of diesel equipment.
Harry K