Water in Bsmt-1st Time in 50yrs

Two weeks ago my basement was flooded with rainwater for the first time in its 50-yr history. The rainfall leading up to the flooding was not exceptional.

The only thing different about things this year is, this past summer I had my side sewer line replaced. The excavated area outside the foundation matches up with the general area where the water entered the basement.

I discussed this with the sewer line contractor, and he said it is possible the excavation created this problem, due to the change in soil composition. The area used to drain, but now it holds water and the water finds its way through the foundation.

What can I do to get things back to the way they were before the sewer line replacement? I'm desperate, don't even know who to call or ask. I think I need an expert. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
spam

I created a similar problem for myself. I removed some very old and well established sod which allowed water to penetrate to my very old and un dampprofed foundation. I have since: dampproofed the wall and arranged for downspouts in the area to be emptied at a distance from the wall.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Reply to
Y knot

First look at the simple stuff like is the soil still sloped away from the house?

Reply to
Art

I would imagine that the problem stems from the fact that before you had compacted soil next to the foundation, and now you have a rather porous lateral backfill that channels water to the foundation wall. It may be that the foundation is at the low point of the porous "reservoir". Could be that an aggregate filled drainage trench is needed at the far end of the escavation.

hth bill

Reply to
bill a

I agree with Bill and Art. It's not unusual for newly excavated soil to allow water to penetrate a lot easier than undisturbed soil. It's also not unusual for it to settle and leave a nice depression for water to pool in.

First thing I would do is make sure surface water is being channeled away from the house. The soil should slope about 1/2" per ft away from the house. Make sure the gutters are working and water from the leaders is sent as far as practical away from the problem area.

Reply to
trader4