Water in bottom of fridge

Subject line explains it. I did search for info, and found web archives about removing ice from under the base-plate of the freezer compartment. And there was indeed a big sheet of ice where there supposedly should have been an air passage. Removed the ice. Fridge dry for a few days. But now it's back, along with the iceberg.

This must be caused by something else. If it matters, the fridge model is: GE TBXY14LPJRWH

I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone here is familiar.

Reply to
Bob

Defrost timer defrost heater, or evaporator fan not working.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The line to the drip tray is frozen, blocked with debris or both. Disconect the line (plastic) at the top of the fridge. Take a syringe full of hot water and start injecting into the line. This will clear the blockage / debris without having to shut off or defrost. Do this

1x a year.
Reply to
jim

That's the fix I used to employ. If you take the bottom off the freezer section and use hot water you can get the ice out and clear the line fast enough to put it back together in a half hour or so. Put the freezer food in a cooler while you do it. I used a long piece of plastic hose instead of a syringe and just sucked a bunch of hot tap water into the hose. Then blow it into the drain tube. Keep doing this until the water starts coming out into the drain pan under the fridge.

There is a kit from the manufacturer that fixes this by extending a piece of metal into the drain from the defrost heater. I did the same thing by just using some 10 gauge bare copper wire. There is a bunch of stuff about it on the net. That was about a year ago and it's still working. There are a bunch of models with this defect.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Actually, a common problem. After you remove the ice from the freezer. Look for a drain line (which is not really obvious) that goes from the freezer compartment, to the tray under the fridge section. Take a turkey baster and some hot water, and rinse out the drain line. The defrost water is supposed to run to a tray under the fridge, and then evaporate off.

Also, open the fridge, unsnap the cover at floor level. Pull the tray out, and scrub it, as it's likely dirty. A splash of clorox bleach, cause they grow mold and such. And put the tray back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

More likely a damaged drain line.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That is only one possibility, The heater timer motor may be broken, the heater itself may be burned out, these are equally likely.

Reply to
hrhofmann

It sounds from your description that the timer and heater are working and it just isn't draining (as others have said). More common in the refridge section as food grows bacteria better there.

Reply to
Bob Villa

There's a whole bunch of these with the drain freezing up as a chronic problem. I mean a LOT. Search the net and you'll see. The manufacturer has a kit for it. But my copper wire solution works just as well.

Reply to
jamesgangnc