Water in AC Filter Intake

Central Unit.
My AC unit occasionally has water in the intake filter. THe filter is about 6 feet away from the AC unit. It's not alot of water, maybe 1/2 - 1 cup. What is this from and should I be concerned? If I should be concerned, how do I fix it?
Cant see it from here, but be concerned and find the cause . Standing water will promote mold and rust. Dry it out and locate the cause. I will take a guess , im no pro, and say your AC coil condensate drain pan drain is plugged and overflowing the pan. Remove the drain if you can and get the duct open to view the pan under the AC coil. Water migrates and may be doing alot of damage you are unaware of.
m Ransley wrote:

I remember now that I had to blow out the line (leading outside). It was clogged with goo from the AC I guess. Is there any thing I can put in the line to disolve this stuff so that it flows freely? The line from the AC out of the house is more than 30 feet.
TC writes:

Compressed air. Cut the pipe, puff it out, repair with a Fernco rubber coupler so you can do it again on a yearly schedule.
You can get overpriced polyquat tablets to put in the drain pan, but the constant flow of condensate means that you can't control the dose, which makes it pointlessly unreliable.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Is this somethin Lowes would carry?

Whats that? The tablets? No..they dont carry those, and to be honest, we dont use them either. We use a product that is cheap, easy, and never fails...never. Its called Co2...when we service our customers units at the start of the season, the lines get a good blasting with it, and then, we put in a Diversitech tab, that you also cant get at Lowes, that is good for about 6 months to keep the line clear. Those little white tabs are good for about one month..IF that.
A rubber coupler? While a good idea, to a point, what would be better would be a solvent in union. thats what we put on our condensate drains so that in the future, if there is a need to remove the pan, or coil, it can be pulled without trouble, and if the lines need cleaning, two twists and you are into the line...costs a bit more, but the first time you have a clog, you are glad that you put it in the line.
CBhVAC:) writes:

I know I've seen polyquat tablets at Home Depot. You can also get the liquid at pool stores. As I said, the dose is unmaintainable.

I've used those, too. A bit more complicated, and I've had the threads seize up and the ring nut crack.

Never seen them here...different market...different inventory...who knows..(shrug)

Not to be a wiseass, but how more complicated? And, the only ones we have had crack, are the cheap $4 ones. Our supplier is handling a line that is a bit more expensive, and can handle the heat of an attic, or the cold of a crawlspace... I dont know whats different about them...really...just know that they are larger, heavier, and work.
CBhVAC:) writes:

If you don't do PVC plumbing routinely, you gotta spend another $6 on cleaner and glue, as opposed to just clamping on the rubber thing.
TC wrote:

The coupler. I'll get one this weekend.
Thanks!
Your air filter is 6 feet away from the a/c unit ??? Huh ??? Please elaborate on exactly what you have there ?? Be specific, then maybe i can help you.
Dave
My filter is 8 feet away from the AC coil , when the pan drain clogged I had water under my filter housing.
So unless his bathroom is right above the unit and leaking id say its a no brainer on where to start.

Please stick to comments about the problem, not the poster. Dave may be very sensitive to being called a no brainier, we don't want him to change his SN again for using this DG. :-]
- Robert
That goo is probably mold, bleach will kill it but can damage ac coils. You need to get someone to see the condition inside where the coils and pan are. Probably mold in there to