Water heaters

Page 2 of 5
On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:

What do you use for heat?

Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as necessary.

Contact the consumer section of your electric provider and see if they make cost comparisons available.
--
Mr.E

You're not in NYS? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as necessary.

propane recovery will be far better than electric.....
its shocking that electric resistance heat for home is cheaper than propane
# # its shocking that electric resistance heat for home is cheaper than # propane
Why ? In some places so much electricity is produced that it's a major export item. that puts the price so low that it's actually cheaper to heat with it.
In Quebec for example, many houses have NO gas, propane or oil heat. Maybe a fireplace. But otherwise ALL electric. And any heating and hot water use they do during evening and night qualifies for a reduced rate to get people in the habit of off-peak use. Some houses were designed with huge hot water tanks, holding hundreds of gallons that were heated during the night to be used as a heat sumps during the day At one time people were encouraged to install a sauna in their basements, which acted as a heat sump for day heating.
They're probably still paying less than any State in the US.

If they have so much electricity that they are exporting it, why are they giving discounts for off peak usage?

.

item.

.

ring the day

s,

And what exactly are those rates that are so low? The only really cheap source of electricity that I know of is hydro. And there is only so much of that around, for obvious reasons.

Same difference.
I don't know what that means, but I wanted to say it.
On 4/9/2013 8:06 PM, micky wrote:

One area is a wasteland and the other is...

You got *that* right!
I bow to your grasp of the English language.
(whatever that means....) . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Same difference.
I don't know what that means, but I wanted to say it.

Me too. Depending on what running the electric will cost you I suspect you'll be better off in the long run just switching to electric water heater and getting rid of all the propane fixed and usage costs. But overall I don't think it will make much real difference no matter what you decide, you are not a heavy user. An electric heater may not recover quite as fast as gas would but it will be fine.

That's probably true. I live alone, but found out with a medium sized tank, I couldn't take a bath in a small bathtub without running out of hot water. Admittedly, the wh was set to be fairly cold (100% hot water would not burn my hand) ,and it would be enough to fill the tub the first time, but the tub would get cold, I would drain water, and put in some more hot, only to find out it wasn't hot at all.
I can give the OP details if he emails me. Remove nonono.
but it will

Showers use a lot less water. But, to fill the tub, it sounds like you'll have to turn the water heater to a hotter temp. I finally ended up turning my my WH temp, and now I can take a sit down bath. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
That's probably true. I live alone, but found out with a medium sized tank, I couldn't take a bath in a small bathtub without running out of hot water. Admittedly, the wh was set to be fairly cold (100% hot water would not burn my hand) ,and it would be enough to fill the tub the first time, but the tub would get cold, I would drain water, and put in some more hot, only to find out it wasn't hot at all.
I can give the OP details if he emails me. Remove nonono.
I'm in NYS. One time my furnace broke, and I was a couple days without, as I found a source for parts. It was maybe 30 or so degrees out. I left a hair dryer running in the hall, and used a space heater in bedroom. When I was in the living room, run a couple burners on the stove. Even with that, I still froze.
During ice storm 2003, I used a kerosene heater at 11,000 BTU per hour, and also the stove burners, and still froze. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

New York State? No. Arizona.
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 00:20:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Drafty old trailer, no wonder!!!
Yes, 1974 model. Drafty for sure. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Drafty old trailer, no wonder!!!
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:55:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Likely takes as much to heat your trailer as to heat my approx 1250 sq foot 2 story with finished basement.