Water heaters

Page 1 of 5
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in the past.
If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.
What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?
TIA

On 4/9/2013 9:46 AM, KenK wrote:

we can't tell where in the world you are, what your power cost is, whether the additional usage will bump you into another usage category at a much higher rate, how much it will be to convert, or whether your service drop will allow you to do this conversion.
you need to call a couple of contractors and ask for bids, and look at your bill to decide what it will cost you for the additional usage.
On 4/9/2013 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:

You haven't provided any information to make a decision.

gallon? Much more expensive than in

ave

Also I would think there would be some online calculators or similar where you could see some real comparisons or plug in your own numbers. A big factor is how much hot water you use. What makes sense for a one person household vs a family of 6 with teenagers could be very different. And whether electricity costs 9c/kwh or 18c.
As for converting the cooking, I doubt it amounts to enough to make it worthwhile, at least from just the energy usage part.
I thought I answered this earlier but evidently I goofed when posting. See below:
wrote:

Mostly showers and washing dishes, Not much.

$0.155. I live alone.

Problem is propane tank rent is ~$70 a year.

So, you're using propane just for hot water and to cook. How much a year total are you spending on propane? If it's $500, it's probably not worth considering converting until the water heater fails. If it's $1000+, then you might recover your costs fast enough for it to make sense. But running the actual numbers is what you need to do.

I wasn't planning to convert the heater until it failed.

Are you in a cold area of the country and how do you heat the house in winter??

filled

No

Space heater.

Must be for a big tank. I have a medium small tank. Im not sure if I own it. I have come up of a way to check level. I'm going to use my IR thermometer and some hot water. I don't know why it took so long.
Grey
I've cooked with electric and with gas ranges over the years.
I think the gas has a slight edge in cooking ease.
But there's another factor. Do you have allergies or respiratory illnesses? There are some studies showing double the respiratory illnesses in children if you cook with gas.
IR thermom don't read shiny metal, accurately. It would be wise to put duct tape or UV resistant line set tape, a stripe from top to bottom.
Is your idea to: Slowly pour a quart or so of hot water down the side of the tank. Read the tank temperature from top to bottom, the liquid level is where the temp drops suddenly. That it? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Must be for a big tank. I have a medium small tank. Im not sure if I own it. I have come up of a way to check level. I'm going to use my IR thermometer and some hot water. I don't know why it took so long.
Grey

I have used the crystal temperature strips on small tanks. Pour hot water down the side. This avoids the strips. My tank is painted. I can't say exactly how big it is. last winter they put 10 gallons in it, so I know it's at least that. I have not spent that much time at camp, where it's at. Still trying to figure what attachments I need for a small spare. It's got dual tank setup, but still have old style tank attached to one side. I don't think they will fill the old tank.
Greg
Due to some new safety regulations, it's no longer legal for people to fill the round handled portable gas grill tanks. The ones we've been using safely for decades. That's the kind of nonsense that gets people upset with the government. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I have used the crystal temperature strips on small tanks. Pour hot water down the side. This avoids the strips. My tank is painted. I can't say exactly how big it is. last winter they put 10 gallons in it, so I know it's at least that. I have not spent that much time at camp, where it's at. Still trying to figure what attachments I need for a small spare. It's got dual tank setup, but still have old style tank attached to one side. I don't think they will fill the old tank.
Greg

115 gal.

Mine has a gauge. Dun't know how accurate.

I'll bet I'm not the only one here still wondering how much a year does propane cost you? That alone might settle the conversion issue.

Don't know. Just fill 115 gal tank when low. About once a year but would have to check my check regustry which I don't have handy - and that doesn't show number of gallons paid for and gallon cost varies.

So, ballpark, if you filled the whole tank once a year, it would be $550. Around here, NJ, for just hot water and a little cooking, you might cut that in half. But that is with nat gas, which is less expensive than electricity. So, if I had to guess, you might save $100 to $150 a year if you switched to electric. But, running your own real numbers is what counts.

around here theres the connection fee, even if you use zero gas you still pay 20 something bucks a month.....

Same is true for electricity