Water heaters

Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

we can't tell where in the world you are, what your power cost is, whether the additional usage will bump you into another usage category at a much higher rate, how much it will be to convert, or whether your service drop will allow you to do this conversion.

you need to call a couple of contractors and ask for bids, and look at your bill to decide what it will cost you for the additional usage.

Reply to
chaniarts

You haven't provided any information to make a decision.

Reply to
George

gallon? Much more expensive than in

Also I would think there would be some online calculators or similar where you could see some real comparisons or plug in your own numbers. A big factor is how much hot water you use. What makes sense for a one person household vs a family of 6 with teenagers could be very different. And whether electricity costs 9c/kwh or 18c.

As for converting the cooking, I doubt it amounts to enough to make it worthwhile, at least from just the energy usage part.

Reply to
trader4

What do you use for heat?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Dean Hoffman wrote in news:kk1ht3$kve$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as necessary.

Reply to
KenK

Contact the consumer section of your electric provider and see if they make cost comparisons available.

Reply to
Mr.E

I thought I answered this earlier but evidently I goofed when posting. See below:

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@16g2000vbx.googlegroups.com:

Mostly showers and washing dishes, Not much.

$0.155. I live alone.

Problem is propane tank rent is ~$70 a year.

Reply to
KenK

snipped-for-privacy@16g2000vbx.googlegroups.com:

So, you're using propane just for hot water and to cook. How much a year total are you spending on propane? If it's $500, it's probably not worth considering converting until the water heater fails. If it's $1000+, then you might recover your costs fast enough for it to make sense. But running the actual numbers is what you need to do.

Reply to
trader4

Wow! Where is this? I just sold 60gal (with the house) for half that.

Just incredulous that electricity is (significantly) cheaper than propane.

Reply to
krw

One thing that might help would be a water heater insulation blanket. Those don't cost much. Would lowering the water heater temperature be an option? I have a natural gas on demand water heater. The darn things are spendy especially for mobile homes. I don't know if/when the payback will be. My motivation for buying one was it was something different. I live alone so only need hot water for a short time each day. There are some on Ebay if you're curious. There are some threads here discussing them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as necessary.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

propane recovery will be far better than electric.....

its shocking that electric resistance heat for home is cheaper than propane

Reply to
bob haller

I don't know how much or what you cook but for me it would take some humongously huge price difference for me to switch from a gas to an electric stove.

Have you ever spent any significant amount of time cooking on an electric range?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x14g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

I wasn't planning to convert the heater until it failed.

Reply to
KenK

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:tG%

8t.38371$ snipped-for-privacy@fed08.iad:

New York State? No. Arizona.

Reply to
KenK

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In Yuma AZ. The propane supplier, Amerigas, tells me the price varies during the year. Didn't know that. Had no choice anyway, the tank started to leak and new one had only 5% fill.

Reply to
KenK

Dean Hoffman wrote in news:kk1t9b$njn$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Run that as low as I can and still do dishes.

Hadn't considered that. I'm in same circumstance. Might be the best option.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Reply to
KenK

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

Never tried one. Thought they worked as well as gas. What's the problem with them? Haven't heard bad about them in cooking group but then again hadn't looked for such posts. There may have many I'd not noticed.

Reply to
KenK

All muy lfe except when camping

Reply to