Water heaters

Page 2 of 2

The only way I would do that is if you also turn the control to "pilot" so that the heater doesn't kick on. Otherwise when the heater kicks on and the valves are shut, it'll pressurize the tank and possibly release the T/P valve, thus causing the exact problem you're trying to avoid :)
Personally I would turn the heater to "pilot" and shut off ALL the water to the house and drain it down that way if the furnace fails while I'm gone it won't burst any pipes. I wouldn't be worried about getting all the water out of the heater, *some* is good enough. I say this because the last time my house was unoccupied for more than a day or two my furnace apparently failed to light at some point during that time period and I came home to a 45 degree house (I think I had the thermostat set at 55) if it'd been below freezing, and I hadn't shut the water off, it coulda been ugly. Of course that has never happened since, Murphy's Law says that if a random, rare failure occurs it will happen of course when you're not around to correct it.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I drained my pipes and the water in the toilet tank, but didn't think about the water in the toilet bowl. It had about 1 1/2" of ice in it - luckily it didn't freeze solid and break the thing. That was a lesson learned the 'easy' way.
KC
Add pictures here
✖

theres tons of stuff that might be damaged in our home if it freezes, water lines, sewer traps, water lines with low spots, bottled water, chemicals and such in bottles, what about water trapped in dishwashers, washing machines, and fridge ice makers? just to name a few.........
worrying too much about stuff like this can lead to ill health and early death, and then none of these trivial matters mean squat.
read where a homeowner turned his water off before leaving on a trip. good safety move huh?
well some kids lit a small fire on the fellows wood porch, a neighbor noticed the fire and attempted to put it out with the homeowners garden hose, which obviously didnt work since all water was off:(
the fire got out of hand causing 50 grand in damages... that could of easily been prevented if the homowner hadnt stressed about leaving his home for the day and turning off the water.
you cant be perfectly safe:(
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 10, 10:36 am, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Point well taken, however...... I left for a 3 day minivacation and a water line in the house broke. 10,000 gallons of water flooded the house while I was gone. Yeah, I was paranoid and turned the water off everytime I left for about a year. It takes time to get over those things.
KC
Add pictures here
✖
I've never had a disaster and I turn my water off every *every* time i leave the house. Even if it's to go to the back 40 shooting range for an hour. If you only used 10,000 gallons in a 3 day leak, it must have been a small one. I used 18,000 when my garden hose blew up and we were gone for 23 hours. ('course i have 123 psi of pressure also, only on the frost free garden hose outlet out in the yard) The house is regulated to about 63.

Point well taken, however...... I left for a 3 day minivacation and a water line in the house broke. 10,000 gallons of water flooded the house while I was gone. Yeah, I was paranoid and turned the water off everytime I left for about a year. It takes time to get over those things.
KC
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:37:22 -0600, "Steve Barker DLT"

Regardless of who else might still be in the house? Or do you live alone?
Add pictures here
✖
Well....... There's just the two of us. And i meant when there's not going to be anyone there.

✖

You might be interested in these:
http://www.smarthome.com/7115H2/Water-Heater-Shutoff-3-4-Inch-Valve/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/71151/Washing-Machine-Valve-Shutoff-Kit-Leak-Detector/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/1284/Elk-Water-Shutoff-Valve-WSV/p.aspx
Or a whole house unit with vacation-mode that wont allow over a certain pre-set GPM to flow while on vacation:
http://www.getfloodstop.com/category_s/5.htm
Kind of like an electrical fuse for water.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes you can - just set the gas valve to the "away" or "pilot" position. On a Unitrol gas valve there is a pilot position on the gas control and a "vacation" setting on the thermostat (which is for all intents and purposes "off".
Add pictures here
✖
leaving the pilot going is not only ok, it's recommended. it helps keep the burner plenum and stack dry.

✖