Water heaters

Page 4 of 5

I know you are but what am I?
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It never fails*.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

[...]

Why must you reply on threads which you have no training or knowledge of the OP's original problem?

I know you're unqualified but what am I?
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It never fails*.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
:On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:17:19 -0400, Jim wrote: : :> Since I'm faced with the strong prospect of replacing my failing water :> heater I'm curious to learn what others think of the tankless variety :> compared to the contemporary water heater tanks. Single homeowner not :> having to deal with others showering, etc. Might be inclined to use the :> shower while a clothes or dishwasher were operating though. :> :> Although I'm leaning towards gas fired, electric could be considered as :> an option if cost effective. : :From what I've read here tankless heaters aren't held in high regards.
I have a tankless, but I didn't have to pay for it. If it were on my dime I would have installed (personally) another gas powered tank, probably 40 gallons like the last. I'm also a single homeowner, in a similar circumstance.
I just don't see the benefit of spending so much more money. Besides, I don't like the fact that every time I turn on some hot water, the fan goes on in the unit. I can hear it, and it IS annoying. I find myself not using the hot water at all when I can get along with using just cold. Honestly, I don't recommend them. At low flow rates, the temperature is generally a LOT hotter than it's supposed to be. I have it set to 110 or 115 when taking a shower, at 100 (the lowest setting) otherwise (I have the remote control). It comes out 120+ at low flow rates. I called their support and was told this is normal.
Dan
Electric on-demand will have a larger electric requirement than a standard electric water heater. Do some googling on them before jumping into it....

Gas fired water heaters now offer a proportional control which regulates the gas flow in proportion to the hot water demand. these are economical and can compensate for varying demand.

A single user can easily save 20-40% with Ng tankless, i do , I have a Bosch. Takagi, Rinnai and Bosch are good brands. The large Bosch is made by Takagi. The only drawback and you learn to live with it is at under 1/2 gal flow it wont kick on. Tankless are great, your negative responses will be from non users that still think tanks are the best. Tankless dont loose efficiency every year as tank do, from sedament buildup. On a 500$ Bosch I am getting a 4 yr payback, and that is at gas prices 4 yrs ago.
Jim wrote:

I'm getting ready to install a Bosch gas fired tankless heater in a small beauty shop. It's rated at 4.3 gal per min. The other unit I installed was an electric unit and the problem you have to look out for is the flow rate. If you want the kind of hot water flow you'd get from a standard tank type heater, you will have to get a very high capacity tankless heater. For high capacity, the gas unit would be the way to go. A high capacity electric unit requires a lot of power. The electric unit I installed was a two element unit that required a separate 2 pole 40amp breaker for each heater element/tank (about the size of a big soft drink cup). The larger electric heaters require more than a 100amp supply, ie expensive. If you have natural gas you only need a 3/4" supply line with the proper capacity and of course the correct vent and air supply for combustion. I will post my results.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

was not worth it stayed with My 60 electric and do just fine halve the cost of the gas unit in these parts and no hole in my wall.Also have friends who wern't to happy with thiers not enough output to keep up with demand shower and tap or washer all at once.
jim wrote:

The gas unit that I'm readying to install is going to replace an existing gas full sized tank unit that already has a 5" vent. To put an electric tankless water in the same place would require a complete new electrical service. A HO lot O money. The Bosch heater I'm installing has no power vent or an electrical connection.
[8~{} Uncle Monster