Water heater wisdom, lesson learned

Got a call from some friends to light a gas water heater. This one had spark igniter, had the push button clicker like on fancy gas grills.
I rotated the top gas valve to pilot, pushed down. Pushed the clicker a few times.
One of the residents had Youtube research gas light. I didn't know the new gas valves, the temp control on the side has to be turned far to one end "light the pilot" temperature, for it to work.
One more thing to know when lighting water heater.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You're also supposed to wait 5 minutes for any gas to clear before lighting. Doesn't it have instructions on the tank for lighting?
On 7/31/2014 3:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

There was some kind of sticker on the tank, but I didn't read it. I've done a lot of these relights.
--
.
Christopher A. Young