water heater vs. water heater

A dip tube is closer to $10 or $15. I can't remember what I last spent, but they might even be cheaper than that.

The only problem with taking out a dip tube is that you probably have to lie the water heater down. Draining it is easy enough, once you let it cool down. I'm surprised it's soldered in. Around here, there's always a flexible metal connector from the valves to the nipples. If it's really soldered and there's no other way, then you know for yourself whether you can do it. For under $50, you can get a nice little torch with MAPP gas and everything you need to do the job. Check with your local Home Depot or Lowes to see if they have some weekend seminar on soldering pipes. That's assuming that you can't add a flexible connector, which you may be able to do.

The labor is about the same to replace the dip tube or change the water heater, short of actually moving it around. Once the water lines are disconnected, the dip tube (or what's left of it) often just lifts out. Some come attached to the nipple, and the nipple must be replaced.

Another thing is that the price seems way high, unless there's something about the job you are not telling us.

Reply to
Hagrinas Mivali

Wooeee! You need to move out of Beverly Hills to a cheaper place.

Seriously, $500 for 6-8 years is a little steep. I got my Bradford White as part of a package deal and the cost was under $500 including installation. Just got an add from Lowes and 40 gallon natural gas heaters (Flame lock, Whirlpool)are priced thus:

6 yr warranty $228 9 yr warranty $298 12 yr warranty $348

If I were you, I would get the 6 yr warranty and have them install it (about $200) for a cost of less than $450.

Either that or get some kid on a wrench while you supervise to replace the t/p valve, replace the dip tube, and flush the tank. Forget flushing the hot water lines unless there is an obvious problem and flush only the problem line(s). Try to flush by fully opening the hot tap and partly closing and opening the supply valve several times. Make sure the problem isn't crud that accumulates at the faucet screen.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Wow!. When you get someone to put the new heater in, make sure they fix the cold and hot water lines so that the tank installs with flexible copper pipe, unless, for some silly reason your building code requires solid connections. I can't imagine soldering a cold water line directly to the tank coupling. Gotta be plumbers insurance that they make money. If it were mine, I wouldn't care what the local code says, I would cut the supply and hot water pipes and solder threaded couplings so I could use flexible pipe between the supply lines and the tank. But I understand your reluctance to do the soldering.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

(Flame lock, Whirlpool)are priced thus:

6 yr warranty $228 9 yr warranty $298 12 yr warranty $348

A few years back someone told me that the actual tanks used on the different water heaters were the same and that the extra money was only buying a longer warranty. I then called Bradford White and they confirmed that this was true. There are two dip tube designs that I know of. The cheapo is just a straight tube that goes to the bottom of the tank. A better design is one that goes to the bottom and then makes a 90 deg. turn for a few inches. It creates a swirling action that keeps the sediment stirred up and not settling in the tank bottom. Also, soldering is not rocket science. Buy a few practice pieces of copper to play with and then go for it

Reply to
glockdoc

Lowes has a sale on water heaters. You can get their 'better' 40 gal water heater for $210.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

I belive the biggest factor is the size of the anode. Bigger anode, longer warrantee.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Bubba,

I think you are missing something here. $500 was the price quoted for removing and replacing the dip tube, not the installed price of a new unit. If a licenced plumber took more than 1/2 hour from arrival to invoice to swap out a dip tube I would be suprised.

I would expect something in the order of $50-$75 for the trip charge, and

1/2 an hour labor at the prevaling rate. (prob. $100 to $150 per hour.)

A dip tube is a piecr of plastic tubing 5 feet long or less with a flare on one end. If you charge the customer twice what it cost you that should still be less than $40.

So even if the OP was in a high overhead area, the price should be $200 or less.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger, I think you missed the post. Id point it out but you seem to have clipped the original and Im not going to look it up. Yes, $500 for a water heater diptube is ridiculous. I never said it wasnt. He had said $500 for a water heater installed was too high. Its not. Now are we clear? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

No he isn't clear, because that is not what I said. The op said the cost for repair was $500 and the cost of a new heater was $750, but didn't indicate that that include installation.

But enough of this, you aren't believable and you don't pay attention to what people say. Your only argument is Ad Hominem and you have an obvious anger and envy problem. If you aren't just a troll, I suggest you get clinical help. I can recommend a few for your type of problem if you wish.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

hey guys, the $750.00 price was for supply and installation of a new 40gal Bradford White M-4 model.

Reply to
JerseyMike

I think you can just get on your knees and blow me. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba