water heater vs. water heater

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:08:13 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

I think you can just get on your knees and blow me. Bubba

A dip tube is closer to $10 or $15. I can't remember what I last spent, but they might even be cheaper than that.
The only problem with taking out a dip tube is that you probably have to lie the water heater down. Draining it is easy enough, once you let it cool down. I'm surprised it's soldered in. Around here, there's always a flexible metal connector from the valves to the nipples. If it's really soldered and there's no other way, then you know for yourself whether you can do it. For under $50, you can get a nice little torch with MAPP gas and everything you need to do the job. Check with your local Home Depot or Lowes to see if they have some weekend seminar on soldering pipes. That's assuming that you can't add a flexible connector, which you may be able to do.
The labor is about the same to replace the dip tube or change the water heater, short of actually moving it around. Once the water lines are disconnected, the dip tube (or what's left of it) often just lifts out. Some come attached to the nipple, and the nipple must be replaced.
Another thing is that the price seems way high, unless there's something about the job you are not telling us.
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:03:50 GMT, "JerseyMike"

This one is easy.. You evidentially have an 11 yr old water heater and are considering a $500 repair to it?? If you cant figure this one out, you needent even bother to attempt a repair yourself. Have your wife make the decision. Its like golf. Go up to the red tee and pull your pants down while you swing. Bubba

any good input for which water heater is better than the other?? my main question was is the AO Smith better than the Bradford White??
mike...........
On 1/7/2005 12:00 PM US(ET), JerseyMike took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

My OA Smith, 40 gal., propane fired, water heater is just over 5 years old and still working. The previous one was 9 years old when I replaced it, but I don't remember the brand. I don't know anything about BW.
--
Bill

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:00:25 GMT, "JerseyMike"

Lowes has a sale on water heaters. You can get their 'better' 40 gal water heater for $210.
PJ

$500? I suggest you read a little here:
http://waterheaterrescue.com /
They will explain how to fix your own heater and make it last.
To install a dip tube you need a pipe wrench to unscrew the inlet nipple and a new dip tube. No soldering required. You could do this yourself in about an hour, and the dip tube should be cheap.
If you unscrew the screens on your faucets all you need do is turn on the water and any crud will blow right out. Clean the screen and replace. If they are calcified, soak overnight in vinegar.
--

Roger Shoaf

JerseyMike wrote:

$500.00 !!!!!! FOR WHAT?
I have a A.O. Smith, the diptube was replaced years ago. Since it was part of the class action, the cost was zero. Total time in my home could not have been more than 30 minutes including BS time. He did replace the tube and flush the tank. I took care of the rest of the pipes, just remove the strainer and run the hot on full for a few seconds.
BTW I am not sure I would pay even $100 for an 11 year old heater. most make it about 15 years, but you local will make a big difference, the water can make 10 years a good life or 20 may be normal.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

One additional note. I suggest you shop around, that price for a new one sounds high to me.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

i called around yesterday and got phone prices from 3 companies and 1 company actually sent a guy out to see what was the problem, that was the company i got the info on about repairing the AO Smith. the 5 other companies i called never returned my phone call as of this time so i guess i'm going w/ the company that sent a guy out. all the prices are w/in $75.00 of each other for a new install.
JerseyMike wrote:

Wooeee! You need to move out of Beverly Hills to a cheaper place.
Seriously, $500 for 6-8 years is a little steep. I got my Bradford White as part of a package deal and the cost was under $500 including installation. Just got an add from Lowes and 40 gallon natural gas heaters (Flame lock, Whirlpool)are priced thus: 6 yr warranty $228 9 yr warranty $298 12 yr warranty $348
If I were you, I would get the 6 yr warranty and have them install it (about $200) for a cost of less than $450.
Either that or get some kid on a wrench while you supervise to replace the t/p valve, replace the dip tube, and flush the tank. Forget flushing the hot water lines unless there is an obvious problem and flush only the problem line(s). Try to flush by fully opening the hot tap and partly closing and opening the supply valve several times. Make sure the problem isn't crud that accumulates at the faucet screen.