Water Heater TP Valve Occasionally Spits

I understand that it may be doing it's job with temp & pressure and that may have to be addressed.
A couple of times a week it spits some water out. Think it might be worthwhile to change the valve first to see if the issue stops doing it?
Not much of a plumber here but have done my basic share. No problem sweating pipes from TP valve that go to floor so I can unscrew the TP.

Other things to try before simply replacing the TP valve;
check the thermostat setpoint, if the water is too hot the valve can open
if your house has a back flow preventer and your expansion tank has lost its charge, the TP valve could be acting to relieve the pressure caused by "cold to hot expansion The intermittent nature of the discharge gives me this impression
Sometimes TP valves can suffer scale buildup, if you cycle the valve it can help to get the valve to seal BUT sometimes they get worse. So be prepared to have things get worse & demand immediate replacement.
wrt to your original question, replacement is pretty simple. Un-sweat the piping & unscrew the valve. I would suggest using MAPP gas torch, lots of heat so you can get the joints hot very quickly without letting other things get hot.
On the re-install, I suggest the use of a union or a copper flex line, so that reinstall and any future maint involves no sweating.
cheers Bob

Two possible causes I can think of.
A TPRV that is failing. Tank is overheating.
I would replace the valve first but it wouldn't hurt to test the water temp.
Harry K

I thought you use duct tape to fix everything? (also...there is no possessive form for it, it's is always "it is") And yes...change the T&P!
Bob Villa wrote:

There is a possessive form for "it". It's "its" as in "Me Golden Idol has lost its shine!"

But so many folks don't know the difference between "its" and "it's". It's a pity that they don't use the correct word.

Yea I do know that if "it is" would gramatically work in a sentence then the contraction/apostrophe version is correct.
But then, who really gives a flying f...
Want a real concern? Saw some math homework of a college student. Solve two equations (no exponents, radicals, ln, etc.) with two unknowns by addition.
Some kids can't write cursive out of high school. OK, who writes cursive one asks. Well, they may need to read it before all who learned it die off.

Yuh, the duct tape done all blowed off.
(that should provide a field day for the English correcting folk)
Red Green wrote:

This often works: Try turning off the water supply and opening a hot tap to depressurize the tank. Then open and close the TP valve a few times. Close the hot tap and open the water supply.

Yea this is an approach I thought of as well. As I originally said, not much of a plumber but have done my basic share. Valves and the like that haven't been operated recently, once moved, leak. Before I operated the TP, I would make sure I had everything to replace it.
When I'm in a house by myself it's not an issue. It's off till I'm done...whenever that is. Not the case now.