Water Heater Thermostat settings ?

Page 3 of 3

Really, what are people thinking, mentioning reasons for a particular setting, laws, and disccussing the subject further? Just set both elements at 230 and be done with it.
:-{|

Set up a web cam, I want to watch this video.
:-/

I know you saw this when I originally posted it. Some may have missed it.
Mythbusters Blows Up Water Heater
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q&feature=player_embedded

This is Usenet. Thread drift is guaranteed.

we can now blame the obama administration and those damn liberals

Gale winds are common.

And, the OP never mentioned what Rheem (maker), installer, or the manual (RTFM) said about the settings for top / bottom.
It is an exaggeration, to say that "Most other messages have tried to tell me **what temperature** I should set my water heater".
Point out the critter that 'told' you what to "set" the heater to. I just don't see it.
You decided 115 - what's the fuss.
Thank you!

If the choice is a very low 115 deg. as the chosen temp. recommend top thermosta be set at that. Game over; any other consequences being the OPs responsibility. Bottom one same or lower.
BUT, one has to comment and that's where anyone can benefit from the opinions/knowledge and comments of this goup!
Otherwise why even bother to ask?
Comment:
Our Dept. of Health recommends that hot water for dish washing be around 160 dgrees. F. And during school kitchen inspections they will often measure it!
Domestically our dishes are washed in a dishwasher which does several washings and rinsings. AFIK it also heats the water further again to achieve a certain safe temperature.
But setting a water heater too low may achieve no economy? For example, when showering/bathing one adjust the total water temperature for self. If the hot water is hotter, one uses less of it and/or more cold. So the end result is the same; a certain total amount of the mixed hot/cold water.
Also there can be concerns about not having the water hot enough to kill certain bacteria, which could perhaps get into the tank once and then continue to breed/multiply in there.
IMO the difference in the amount of heat lost, from a well insulated hot water tank whether it is set to say 160 F or 120 F degrees is minimal. The cost, at most, being a few pennies/cents per day.
Regarding 115 deg. F whether top versus bottom thermostat or not. Fifty gallons is quite lot of hot water unless it's boarding house/ large family etc. In that case maybe the OP could set the upper at 115 and turn the bottom one as low as possible, maybe even off? .

This clause will not stand in court. Disclaimer of liability are not valid in contracts, or as signs, or anywhere else. What you need is an enforcable "assumption of liability" which you won't be able to do--a person who rents does not have the financial ability to assume liability, so you will then be named in the suit too. If there is a law stating it must be 120 degrees, regardless of the law you would also be held responsible. Were I to give you legal advice (I'm not doing so) I'd suggest setting them to 120 degrees as the rules say, and if the tennant complains, give them the names and addresses of their local representatives in the (state?) government... Simply explain you have no option.
Yep, that sign in the parking lot: "We cannot be held liable for..." is worthless! One cannot disclaim liability.

Geeze, wish I could do that! I'm considering solar water heat for summer here in NH however.

In typed:

120 to 140 degrees, best I can tell. I chose 130 degrees F, deciding to split the difference, and have never had any problems. But I didn't get the information here: I got it from a few reliable sources, all of whom provided the same temperatures, even the local code enforcement office.
Whenever I see a long list of people crawling out of the woodwork with responses as happened in this thread (and often happens), I seldom bother to read them as the summation of the advice is going to be 1. unverifiable, 2. misleading and 3. based on guesses and "feelings". You seldom ever see anyone give any kind of verifiable information sources.
HTH,
Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
So, Twayne, you split the difference between the lower and upper elements ? From that strategy, do you get pretty even water temperature throughout its 50 gallon capacity ??
Thanks !!
James
------------------------------
120 to 140 degrees, best I can tell. I chose 130 degrees F, deciding to split the difference, and have never had any problems. But I didn't get the information here: I got it from a few reliable sources, all of whom provided the same temperatures, even the local code enforcement office.
Twayne
--------------------------------- Please remember, the only question from this OP was whether the top thermostat should be set at same temp as the lower one. Out of 34 messages so far, I think one person has addressed this single question posed in the OP. Most other messages have tried to tell me **what temperature** I should set my water heater. As I noted in my OP, I have already decided that.
Thanks !!
James
James wrote:

A few times installing new tank or thermostat. I noticed most of them came with temp. set at 140. I have a few tanks at my stores and cabin. They are all set at 135 or 140.
In typed:

Either I mis-spoke or you mis-read: I set the TEMP to 130 period; I did not mean to say one element was set different than the other; sorry if I gave that impression. In this case they were both set to the same temp; 130 degrees. Still too hot for my liking, but hot enough for the dishwasher and I've changed shower faucets to the temperature-control kinds. But electricity got too expensive and we switched to an oil fired water heater and saved a bundle on electricity. Up to now, anyway; not so sure it's a savings anymore with prices so high but it recovers very quickly.
HTH,
Twayne

typed:

heaters with always one element. We have solar water heaters (not in rental houses), so we have plenty of hot water 330 days a year, free (if you count out the ~1000 euros initial expense for the solar heater) These solars come with a 4kW (auxilliary) element, that has a 1 1/2" thread (IIRC) and either a 35 or 38 mm nut. I always set the thermostat at 60 degrees celsius, which is a good compromise for having enough hot weater and electricity waste. They also have a connecting option to the furnace, so you have 3 ways to heat water (solar, furnace, electric). The classic electric boilers have also one element, usually 4 or 3 or sometimes 2 kW, and I always set the thermostat at 60 C. I also change any bad elements myself ( it goes without saying that you must drain the heater of water before removing the bad element).
--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

I used to keep my water pretty hot, at least 140 because of the dishwasher recommendations, sometimes more. My water heaters had a tendency to fill with gunk and then the bottom element would burn out. I bought a dishwasher with a water heat feature and turn the water heater down to about 120 and most of the gunk problem went away. So my recommendation for your new heater is set it as low as you can get away with considering legionnaires and dishwasher issues.

There is a lot of miss info in this thread about legionella.
It's mainly a problem for water that is _stored_ at below 60C.
So you can use a wax cart mixer to mix hot water fom the tank at say 65C with cold water to produce a safe 44C.
I don't know that specific water heater you have but the sealed type that use a heat exchanger can be run at less than 60C because they can be dosed with chemicals.