Water heater thermostat question

I have a natural gas water heater and I have a question on the durability of the thermostat control. I turn the thermostat control setting to vacation to prevent the burner firing up while I'm away form the house and I do this daily. Will I accelerate the wearing of the temperature setting mechanism by over use of the control know? Thanks -
Hello Harlen, Mike d here, in my opinion, yes you'll wear out the temp. control switch on your heater, why not use a timer (electric) to turn your heater on when home off when away, & leave temp. switch on heater set?.

Bill
berkshire bill wrote:

uhh, beans once a day?
Hi Bill, Mike D, here, I see gas operates the pilot flame, my error. Can't turn the gas on/off either, hmm, why not leave setting on low the entire time? Mike D

poster. I personally leave my gas water heater alone (sometimes for days at a time) and as a rule don't mess with the temperature.
Bill
Hi Bill, just noticed your email, Berkshire Bill had a place in Craryville (Copeque lake), well a friend of mine did a few yrs. back. Mike D
Michael C De Vito wrote:

Harlen Ng wrote:

That's not good practice; too much wear on the control. The amount of gas saved this way will be miniscule in any event.
Jim

It's a cinch to relight. I also shut off the water to the heater; who needs a failure while you're away? MLD
I never thought about the shut off valve on the control box. I could turn it to Pilot.
You bring up a good point about being away on vacation. Shut off the gas and water completely.
MLD wrote:

Amazing how some big problems turn out to be little ones <g> I've already had two hot water tanks fail, luckily, both while I was home and caught before it became a big incident. As a result, I'm paranoid about it so if I'm away for more than one day I shut the heater down--it only takes a couple of minutes to get it up and running---no risk, high reward. MLD

Look into electronic ignition for the unit. Solves at lot of issues. Besides your pilot light is 1/3 of the bill.
Harlen Ng wrote:

If so insulate it with a fiberglass or similar blanket. Modern water heaters retain heat very well, Observe it some day when you are home and not using hot water to see whether it fires.