Water Heater Sizzling and Popping

I have an AO Smith 100-gallon water heater that's popping and sizzling. I'm pretty sure there's a sizeable mineral deposit on the bottom that's creating these noises and has successfully escaped my attempts at regularly flushing the tank for the last seven years.
Is there a way, short of throwing said heater out, of getting rid of that deposit?
The Ranger

no, sorry.
ignore the noise or replace the heater.
the mineral deposits are hard, and attempting a acid bath may generate a leak.
I understand your pain 100 gallon tanks are pricey, perhaps you can add insulation safely to minimize noise transmission somehow

straighten out a coat hanger & stick it in the drain hole (after removing the drain of course) and scrape it around? Otherwise, when you get a new tank, drain it at least once a year to prevent this.