Water Heater Sizzling and Popping

I have an AO Smith 100-gallon water heater that's popping and sizzling. I'm pretty sure there's a sizeable mineral deposit on the bottom that's creating these noises and has successfully escaped my attempts at regularly flushing the tank for the last seven years.

Is there a way, short of throwing said heater out, of getting rid of that deposit?

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

no, sorry.

ignore the noise or replace the heater.

the mineral deposits are hard, and attempting a acid bath may generate a leak.

I understand your pain 100 gallon tanks are pricey, perhaps you can add insulation safely to minimize noise transmission somehow

Reply to
hallerb

straighten out a coat hanger & stick it in the drain hole (after removing the drain of course) and scrape it around? Otherwise, when you get a new tank, drain it at least once a year to prevent this.

Reply to
Bob M.