Water Heater Sediment

We just moved into a house where they probably never drained the sediment from the water heater.

The heater makes a clunk-clunk sound when it's on.

The water has a high lime (?) content which settles out overnight.

I've tried opening the drain valve, but I'm not getting any sediment. I suspect it's formed a "paste" on the bottom of the tank.

Any way I can work this problem ?

Reply to
Anonymous

We just moved into a house where they probably

It forms a "paste" which then turns to rock-hard stone. You're faced with removing the drain valve (which will likely break off...) and then mechanically scouring the insides.

Old heater? > 7 yrs, replace it.

Electric heater? Less of a problem.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It may be too late for your water heater. But, ... What I have done is to replace the cheap plastic drain valve with a

3/4" ball valve. This required a short stem from heater to valve, and a hose fitt> We just moved into a house where they probably
Reply to
Phil Munro