Water Heater Safety Solenoid?

Greetings, I remember watching This Old House and they had a plumber install a solenoid in the supply line of a water heater. The solenoid was hooked up to a float in the safety pan underneath, if the pan filled with water, the solenoid would cut the water supply and hopefully your basement wouldn't be an oversized heated swimming pool. Anyone know of a source for this setup? Many TIA.....                         Mark L.

This what you're looking for?
http://www.smarthome.com/7115H.html
That may be it, but I wonder what happens if the water flow is stopped and the gas is left to keep burning? Do you think the gas burner will keep cooking the empty tank?
Paul Franklin wrote:

If you spring a little leak (most common, I think) the tank will hold water for a long time. If you spring a big leak, the pilot will be doused and the gas valve will shut off the gas. Even with small leaks, commonly the pilot is either doused, or the thermocouple cooled enough to shut off the gas.
Paul Franklin wrote: <SNIP>

In any case, the gas control has an overheat sensor protruding into the tank. In the case of a dry tank, the sensor (switch) opens and cuts off the thermocouple circuit. This is a one-time device/ not re-settable.
Jim
Thanks, Jim. That's good to know.
Speedy Jim wrote:

I don't watch TV much any more, but I think I know what you're talking about.
www.wagsvalve.com

Thanks, Heatman. I like the idea that it shuts off the gas also.
HeatMan wrote:

For total flood protection there are Main saftey shut offs, they can use sensors or detect excessive flow from upstairs. A water heater is only one area breaks can ocure