Water Heater Question

I live in a mobilehome and I have a 6 month old GAS water heater outside. I thought the water heater ONLY comes on when you use the HOT water. I heard it come on this morning at 5:00 AM(it was really cold outside) do not know if that makes a difference. It stayed on for 15 minutes. Is this normal? thanks
Normal. Heaters need to maintain the temperature of the water in the tank. Heat losses are the reason that it comes on by itself.

buffy92027 wrote:

Assuming it is a tank type, this is perfectly normal. The heat will radiate out of the tank even if you are not using the hot water, so the gas burner will need to kick on 1-2x a day to keep it hot for when you're ready to use it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

There are two kinds of water heaters.
On Demand> Heats water only when it is called for. It is small and has no tank
Tank type > Heats water in a tank and keeps it hot between uses. If this heater is outside it will mean considerably higher water bills during the winter.
You say your water heater is outside. It certainly has to keep the water above freezing and the pipes to and from it need to be kept above freezing. Going below freezing can cause serious damage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:23:02 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

I think you mean energy bill vs. water bill.

-- Oren

Your hot water heater is outside?
We first off, you need to protect it from the elements.
Second off, you need to insulate the **** out of it to control you heating costs.