Water Heater Pilot Will Not Stay Lit when I switch from PILOT to ON.

Page 2 of 2

Brett Miller wrote:

There was nothing whatsoever harsh about my words, they were just the simple facts. I can't help it if you don't know jack about what you're working on.
Richard Perry
Attn: Steve Barker
Sir, I am holding it for as long as 4 mins and yet it still goes out when I let up off of the button.
Suggestions? I could get a new heater but this would really stress the family and we'd have to go with out for many other things.
So any advice would be appreciated not only by me, but by my wife, 3 daughters and 1 son.
Thanks BM
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:52:18 GMT, "Steve Barker LT"

It's not the thermocouple, or the pilot would not stay lit when you released the button/knob.
Could be just air in the lines /valve/ pilot tube. When the valve calls for gas to the main burner, the momentary drop in pressure kills the pilot before the main burner gets enough gas to light.
Also, low manifold pressure (check the regulator), or a dirty inlet filter (usually integral to control valve) can cause this..
But first, sake sure you purge out all the air, though, by letting the pilot burn for a few minutes before turning the control to "on".
Crack loose the fitting at the gas valve, too, at the flex line, with the gas on (don't smoke when you do this), for a few seconds. This will purge any air between the service valve and the water heater out of the flex line. Check for leaks with soap bubbles before firing it up, after tightening the connections.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

It's not clear that the pilot light is staying on when he releases the button. He only said it lights when he pushes the button and goes out when he moves it to on. He could be doing the releasing and turning at the same time. I do agree that if it stays on when he releases it, that it's not the thermocouple. But, I bet it goes out, as the thermocouple is the most common type of problem.
And if it is, as Joeeph advised, they only cost about $10 and are easy to replace. Bascily the whole burner assembly gets disconnected from the valve assembly, then removed. Then you can take off the thermocouple and replace it. They are common across many units, main diff is the length. Any plumbing supply should have them, also avail online. You can do the repair in about 20 mins.

definetely buy a brand new thermocouple, the one off the old tank may be bad, its only 10 bucks.
hold the pilot button down at least 2 minutes too.
how old is the tank if its really old and not the thermocouple then dont change the gas valve / thermostat just get a new tank
The tank is 6 years old. I was thinking four, but just checked and it is 6. I have a gas valve on an old tank I was trying to remove to put on the non working tank in the house, but couldn't figure out how to remove it. The tank is in my old home that I'm trying to sell. Do you thing I'd come out better replacing the tank? I think if it were a choice between replacing the gas valve and replacing the tank, I'd replace the tank.
6years old. Should I replace it? I couldn't guess what the warranty is or how long the thing was guaranteed for.
Thanks Brett

What I think is that whoever buys your old house is going to get one hell of a "jury-rigged" piece of shit.............thanks to you. Hopefully, when the house burns down, someone will find all of your Brett Miller posts and sue you for the two cents you have left in your pocket. Bubba

THE PILOT LIGHT IS ON ONLY WHILE I HOLD THE BUTTON. I HOLD THE BUTTON FOR UP TO 4 MIN and still it goes out when I let go the button, before I can even turn it to on. Sorry for the confusion. BM 2006-03-26

Brett Miller wrote:
BTW one more note. This thread seems to have attracted more than the usual troll types. Ignoring the insults. Sometimes there is some good information in their post, but consider the source.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
THE PILOT LIGHT IS ON ONLY WHILE I HOLD THE BUTTON. I HOLD THE BUTTON FOR UP TO 4 MIN and still it goes out when I let go the button, before I can even turn it to on. Sorry for the confusion. BM 2006-03-26
Did you try a BRAND NEW THERMOCOUPLE? Someone mentioned one from a old tank:(
Eith the thermocouple is bad, the pilot flame too small, or the gas valve thermostat assembly is bad.
They can be removed but are destroyed in the process, since they have to be held by the outside of the thermostat body. easy to crush damage or cause gas leak. they rust in place so are hard to unscrew.
if its not the thermocouple and the pilot is strong just replace the tank because any futher troubleshooting will find the parts cost too much
Sometimes it may take 24hrs of holding the button down before the pilot will stay on. Try that. Bubba