Water Heater Pilot Will Not Stay Lit when I switch from PILOT to ON.

I turned off the gas to a water heater in a home I am selling. The water heater was less then 4 years old. After approx 2-3 months I tried to relight the water heater. When I pushed the button to light the pilot, it light fine, but when I turned the switch from pilot to ON, the light went out.

Someone suggested I should replace the thermo coupling ( I don't know what that is.). I have another water heater not being used. Can I take the parts that come out of the little box on the side, and run to the burner, and replace them on the one not working? Or do I need to change the whole Box on the Side and Burner combo.

I'm not the greatest DIY'er, but I have changed out 2 water heaters (both gas) and I do know how to check for gas leaks. However I do not have the ca$h to pay a pro to do the job.

Any help most appreciated.

M,B

Reply to
Brett Miller

Don't bother robbing Peter to pay Paul. Thermocouples are cheap. The look like a wire with a little fat spot on the end that normally is in the flame of the pilot light. Sometimes just cleaning them works, if not they need to be replaced. Usually one or two screws is all it takes. Remove the one you have take it to the hardware store and tell them you want a new one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sometimes you have to hold that pilot button down for a full minute or so. Are you trying to let it go too soon?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

The first thing to do is to check the pilot flame-- it should be blue and contacting the thermocouple. If it is a lazy yellow flame, like a candle flame, you need to clean the pilot. Usually you can just blow it out with compressed air. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in news:S6fTf.12893$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

And sometimes all you need to do is let everything cool off to room temperature, follow the thermocouple to the thermostat, and loosen and retighten the hex nut. It works by the heat from the pilot light causing the trapped air to rise in pressure. If there is a bad connection, the main valve thinks that the pilot light has blown out.

Reply to
Al Tsiemers

Don't listen to mr Meehan. he just likes to spit out wrong answers to these type of questions. if the pilot stays lit after you let trhe button up it isn't the thermocouple. it is more than likely a gas pressure or valve problem. would this happen to be propane?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

It's not the thermocouple, or the pilot would not stay lit when you released the button/knob.

Could be just air in the lines /valve/ pilot tube. When the valve calls for gas to the main burner, the momentary drop in pressure kills the pilot before the main burner gets enough gas to light.

Also, low manifold pressure (check the regulator), or a dirty inlet filter (usually integral to control valve) can cause this..

But first, sake sure you purge out all the air, though, by letting the pilot burn for a few minutes before turning the control to "on".

Crack loose the fitting at the gas valve, too, at the flex line, with the gas on (don't smoke when you do this), for a few seconds. This will purge any air between the service valve and the water heater out of the flex line. Check for leaks with soap bubbles before firing it up, after tightening the connections.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

It's not clear that the pilot light is staying on when he releases the button. He only said it lights when he pushes the button and goes out when he moves it to on. He could be doing the releasing and turning at the same time. I do agree that if it stays on when he releases it, that it's not the thermocouple. But, I bet it goes out, as the thermocouple is the most common type of problem.

And if it is, as Joeeph advised, they only cost about $10 and are easy to replace. Bascily the whole burner assembly gets disconnected from the valve assembly, then removed. Then you can take off the thermocouple and replace it. They are common across many units, main diff is the length. Any plumbing supply should have them, also avail online. You can do the repair in about 20 mins.

Reply to
trader4

I changed out the thermocopuling for one I had from another Water Heater that had developed a leak. When I put this in place, I still had the same problem. Should I buy one that is an EXACT replacement? This one fit, looked the same and the screws seemed to match.

What do you think

BM

Reply to
Brett Miller

My pardon. Perhaps in my grief I explained the problem rather poorly. The pilot light will light and remain lit ONLY WHEN THE BUTTON IS DEPRESSED. When I let up off of the button, the flame goes out, even before I can switch to ON. I have held it 1 min and I have held it

3-4 min, and it still goes out once the button is no longer held.

The system is, I believe Natural Gas. We have no Gas tanks in the yard. We get it piped in by the county like our water and electricity.

Can you help me sir? I do hate to whine, but if I can fix this for less then the cost of replacing the water heater, it will mean my family can have a meal with meat in it for a change, not to mention they'd no longer have to take those frigid showers.

Thanks,

BM

Reply to
Brett Miller

definetely buy a brand new thermocouple, the one off the old tank may be bad, its only 10 bucks.

hold the pilot button down at least 2 minutes too.

how old is the tank if its really old and not the thermocouple then dont change the gas valve / thermostat just get a new tank

Reply to
hallerb

Do you actually believe that?

No he isn't. Could be a bad electrical connection, could be a faulty gas valve, could be a weak thermocouple (depending upon the type of system used), could be a lazy pilot flame, or it could be insufficient gas pressure. Unless he gets it right by sheer luck he's going to be taking cold showers for awhile. Worst case scenario he burns down his house.

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP

Attn: Steve Barker

Sir, I am holding it for as long as 4 mins and yet it still goes out when I let up off of the button.

Suggestions? I could get a new heater but this would really stress the family and we'd have to go with out for many other things.

So any advice would be appreciated not only by me, but by my wife, 3 daughters and 1 son.

Thanks BM

Reply to
Brett Miller

That does change everything. Is that your final description?

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP

THE PILOT LIGHT IS ON ONLY WHILE I HOLD THE BUTTON. I HOLD THE BUTTON FOR UP TO 4 MIN and still it goes out when I let go the button, before I can even turn it to on. Sorry for the confusion. BM 2006-03-26

Reply to
Brett Miller

Again I ask pardon Mr. Perry. Mr. Perry, yes, That is My final answer.....uhh.....My final description. Flame goes out when button is released....however if I rapidly move it to on and there happens to be a little flame left (though dying) it gets completely extinguished.

Mr. Perry, Will this difference give you enough information to formulate an opinion as to the reason for the water heater's failure?

Thanks you sir,

B.Miller

Reply to
Brett Miller

Mr. Perry, Those are pretty harsh words. While I can safely change out a water heater, I am not knowledgeable about repairing one. Even so I believe that neither "sheer luck" nor you Mr. Perry will have anything to do with repairing this water heater. Most of what you inferred and listed above is completely wrong...the heater was working fine until it was turned off for 2 months. There was never a problem with the heater until then. The heater before it was replace when it started to leak. How you can infer the above by the little you know is beyond me.

Most of the response here are very positive and helpful. I guess I failed to see the sport you were having with me and few others you responded to or about. I'm sorry you are unable to contribute in a positive way to my question. Perhaps it would be good for you to continue to monitor the thread and learn what the problem is and then you could share that in a helpful way in the future with someone else.

To those other helpful people trying to help me fix this problem, please excuse my strong words. And please continue to give your suggestions. I'm listening.

-One must squat to speak with a Fule. -HT8 Fulish speaking shorten the man. JP

Reply to
Brett Miller

The tank is 6 years old. I was thinking four, but just checked and it is 6. I have a gas valve on an old tank I was trying to remove to put on the non working tank in the house, but couldn't figure out how to remove it. The tank is in my old home that I'm trying to sell. Do you thing I'd come out better replacing the tank? I think if it were a choice between replacing the gas valve and replacing the tank, I'd replace the tank.

6years old. Should I replace it? I couldn't guess what the warranty is or how long the thing was guaranteed for.

Thanks Brett

Reply to
Brett Miller

the fact you changed the thermocouple and it still doesn't work means it probably isn't the thermocouple. it still could be but the chances are slim that the one you put in is also defective. There is just too much that I need to know that you will not be able to answer. such as, voltage, pilot flame position, etc.. it is now time to call someone local to look at it for you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

Chances are the second one was OK so that does tend to suggest it may be something else, but if it were mine, I would try a new thermocouple. Bring the original old one into the store and ask for a replacement. My money is still on the thermocouple. However the following quote from RP is correct.

"Could be a bad electrical connection, could be a faulty gas valve, could be a weak thermocouple (depending upon the type of system used), could be a lazy pilot flame, or it could be insufficient gas pressure."

BTW 6 years old is not old under most conditions. However a cheap tank or bad water conditions could mean that a six year old tank has reached the end of the line, but nothing you have mentioned has suggested that.

I think I would consider replacing the tank in the old home. It will make perspective buyers happy to see a new tank they can trust. I would also not consider removing parts from the old one to use on the new one. The parts may not be compatible but more important it I would not put that much work into moving parts that are as inexpensive as the parts you are talking about.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan