Water heater pilot strangeness

this is turtle.

tony said it all with the thermocouple or a dirty pilot light.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi all,

Our water heater has started behaving strangely. The steps are such:

1 - There's no hot water. 2 - I light the pilot again and the burner comes on. 3 - After some length of time - it could be as little as two minutes or as long as several hours - the flame goes out. When I sit out there and monitor it, I hear a soft "clunk" sound when the burner and pilot go out at the same time.

What could cause this? The gas company says it's not air in the line - and that's the extent of their service side of the business.

Thanks!

Dot

Reply to
Dorothy

Hi, Pilot flame size or thermocouple. Make sure all the fittings are tight. Most of time there is a provision for adjusting pilot flame size on the main valve. If thermocouple is bad, you can replace it easy. That sound may be from main valve dropping out. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang