Water heater on scald?

New tenant complained about how hot the water was, so I opened up the unit and found both thermostats turned ALL the way up. The manual says this is around 190F (!). I turned them all the way down to the factory setting which is supposed to be 120F, or below the 125F scald standard.
There isn't a dishwasher. Is there any legitimate reason it would have been turned up so high, e.g. something to do with the HVAC (each unit has its own)?

Sounds like you either have 2 water heaters, or an electric water heater with 2 thermostats?
The only reason I can think why someone would crank them to the max, would be because they once ran out, and figured that would be less likely to happen again if the water was hotter, and therefore you'd use less of it during a shower, washing dishes, etc.

with 2

be
If it is a tankless hot water heating system, the two stats are for off and on settings. Kicks off at the high set point, comes back on at the low set point. Baseboard heaters are usually more efficient at higher temperatures.
It can also be as you said, less volume is needed to mix in with the cold water if there is not enough supply.
In any case, 190 is much to high. Ed

A hotter temp compensates somewhat for a tank too small.
--
Committees of Correspondence web page;
free men own guns - slaves don't

Christopher A. Young