Water heater on scald?

New tenant complained about how hot the water was, so I opened up the unit and found both thermostats turned ALL the way up. The manual says this is around 190F (!). I turned them all the way down to the factory setting which is supposed to be 120F, or below the 125F scald standard.

There isn't a dishwasher. Is there any legitimate reason it would have been turned up so high, e.g. something to do with the HVAC (each unit has its own)?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Sounds like you either have 2 water heaters, or an electric water heater with 2 thermostats?

The only reason I can think why someone would crank them to the max, would be because they once ran out, and figured that would be less likely to happen again if the water was hotter, and therefore you'd use less of it during a shower, washing dishes, etc.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

A hotter temp compensates somewhat for a tank too small.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Sure if you are paying the bill, Who pays the bills, ? You ? or the tennant? You should start at the lowest temp where No cold water is added to shower, thats YOUR set point, if You pay the bill. If they PAY , its not your bill

Reply to
mark Ransley

If it is a tankless hot water heating system, the two stats are for off and on settings. Kicks off at the high set point, comes back on at the low set point. Baseboard heaters are usually more efficient at higher temperatures.

It can also be as you said, less volume is needed to mix in with the cold water if there is not enough supply.

In any case, 190 is much to high. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've seen this a couple times, on rental property, and once in a frame home. Seems that some half brained idiots think that if you want the water a little hotter, you turn it on max. I can't explain the mindset.

It is the same mindset as the negro welfare mommy who kept turning the fridge settings up to 9 and E, and then calling the landlord to complain that the fridge was warm. I tried to explain it to her a couple times, and then started billing her fifty bucks a trip.

Just write it off as idiots who oughta not be allowed to own screw drivers or hammers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon