WATER HEATER > MOBILE HOME ??

Friends recently replaced the water heater in their mobile home.

They had to buy a "Mobile Home" water heater.

I looked at the installation; It LOOKS like a normal size water heater. It runs on natural gas.

I know that in years past, some mobile water heaters ( electric ) run on 110 volts only.... ( gas ) run on LP only.

Other than that, what's special ?

Why couldn't a regular residential gas water heater be used ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Water heaters for mobile homes are sealed combustion. The heater has to take its air supply from outside the living area. My old water heater looked normal. Its air intake came out of the bottom of the heater and drew the air from below my house. I had to replace my water heater a couple years ago. The installation instructions for regular water heaters I looked at specifically said that they couldn't be used in mobile homes.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, fire hazard. If you use a regular water heater and God forbid the house burns down, the insurance company may not cover it if they find out the homeowner replaced the water heater and didn't use the right one. Maybe most insurance companies would still pay but I wouldn't chance it. Give a payor an out and they are likely to take it.

Reply to
dreamchaser