water heater leaking!

Page 3 of 5

Unless you live in earthquake country (most of the continental US can be subject to earthquakes, albeit rarely).
On Tue, 20 May 2014 23:44:43 -0400, HomeGuy

were chevies. Was the extra thousand or so for the impala a rip-off?
There ARE differences between the cheapest and the best water heater of the same brand - and I bought mine, a GE (made by rheem) 3 years ago. It has the brass drain valve, not plastic, and 2 anodes as well as the turbulator tube - which the cheep ones did NOT have.
My last one, a 9 yr warrany GSW, lasted well over 20 years ( I believe it was 24), compared to the contractor installed cheepy that lasted something like 12 years.
I NEVER buy the cheepest of anything that matters, and seldom the most expensive. It's called buying for VALUE, not price.
Current cost is $494 at my local Home Despot, plus tax = $558 including HST here in Ontario. So I wasn't very far off saying $600. The warranty is 50% longer, for a difference in price of $92 - or less than 25% - and it DOES have the brass valve, double anodes, and the turbulator tube. It is also 40,000 BTU compared to the cheap one at 36000 for faster recovery.
I'd say I got value for my $92. You don't think so? That's YOUR problem, not mine.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, it seems he knows every thing.... His knowledge is rehashed from Internet, sounds like.
On Wed, 21 May 2014 08:30:28 -0400, HomeGuy

I was referring to the WATER connections. Sorry.

But the average plumber, and most DIY installers, cheap out and thread the connector to the water heater with pipe soldered to the connector, then solder that pipe right to the water pipes in the house. Saves them 2 unions at something like $10 each, and saves them 2 solder joints.

Didn't say they did. But they don't have unions on them either.

different gas valve and piezo ignitor, about 15 degrees of rotation from the original in reference to the water pipe connections. About 6 inches difference in height too if memory serves me correctly - and different diameter - so EVERYTHING had to be modified. No problem - I had it changed in just over an hour - this wasn't my first prom!!!
On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:48:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Everybody here, even Homelessguy knows you were talking about the water connections.

I don't do it to save the unions, the cost of the unions, etc. I do it because it's faster, easier and less likely to leak. Unions are just another spot that can leak and don't really offer much. I avoid them unless they are really necessary and for the typical WH, they aren't. To get the old one out, you just run the pipe cutter around the pipe. Get the new one in, use a copper repair coupling, solder it up. Quick, easy, nothing to leak.

Homelessguy is clueless. He somehow thinks that only he knows that WHs have threaded fittings and that fact that they do means they can just go in, no solder, no unions, no other special fittings. Just screw the WH right into the rest of the plumbing.... go figure.

Exactly. Most times it can be a drop in where everything works out. But sometimes it's not. It's a big leap to make assumptions without knowing what the OP has. Or as I said before, how about if he has a soldered in old shutoff valve that should be replaced? If you have the skills and the tools, it's easy, but if you don't, another example of things you can run into. And if you don't have the skills and screw it up, flood the house, blow it up, is it worth it? Is Homelessguy going to pay to make it right?
On Wed, 21 May 2014 08:33:07 -0400, HomeGuy

using unions like a smart guy would. As for the gas piping, lots of guys work back from the water heater so the union is up ar ceiling hieght - makes it a bugger to make minor changes. My union is about 8 inches from the gas valve.

the crap either.
On Wed, 21 May 2014 10:17:05 -0400, HomeGuy

Makes no sense? How in blazes do you expect to "unwind" the threaded fitting, whether it be gas or water, without a union? Or are you one of those Mensa types that uses compression fittings???

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:38:17 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You could make the first water connection by turning the WH round and round. :) The second one, IDK. And if he's talking about using a compression type fitting, you'd think he would have said so by now.
On Wed, 21 May 2014 15:11:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

On Wed, 21 May 2014 12:47:31 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy

badgolferman wrote:

The water heater got replaced today. I watched what the guy did and am glad I didn't attempt it myself. I'm not a klutz with tools and can fix things, especially electronics or electrical things. I can build computers and make them work.
After turning off the water to the house and draining the thing, the two copper water lines at the top had to be cut off even though they were threaded into the water heater. The gas line was a different pipe of course, and that got unscrewed. The replacement water heater that came was a Ruud 50 gallon tall one which was not what we had ordered. The guy had to go get the 40 gallon version and come back later.
After taking out the old one and putting in the new one, he screwed in some pre-made copper extensions onto the water lines of the heater then he had to cut back some of the existing pipe to make everything match up. More couplings came out to make the proper connections and he then soldered them all together. Of course he had the torch, flux, solder, and some sort of pipe dope for the gas fittings that I didn't have. He also had to resize the gas pipe extensions and reseal all that a couple of times because of the gas leaking. He also bled the relief valve to let the air out of the tank -- something I would not have known to do.
Considering all the tools I didn't have, no truck to transport these water heaters, no curbside pickup in my town, a family that can't be without water while I try to figure out what I've done wrong, going back and forth to the hardware store several times, I think it was best to pay the professional to do the job.
On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:56:29 PM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:

Good for you and thanks for being so observant. I especially like the part about the plumber having to redo the gas line to put it in. Exactly what many of us here were saying, that it's not always just a straight drop in replacement like the village idiot claims it is.
On 5/22/2014 8:20 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I also thank you for the detailed follow up. I may print that out, and show people who want to DIY.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
trader_4 wrote:

I have done all this and that in my younger days and I think I earned it to relax and take it easy, let some others do it for me(they do it to make a living) If I do every thing myself they will starve, LOL! Now I just make sure things are done proper. Is that village idiot da real man?
Are sharkbite connections allowed on natural gas lines?
I ask because I have no idea and it seems a little strange, but maybe this is common practice.
badgolferman wrote:

I'm glad I learned from my dad to be electrically and mechanically inclined. I've rebuilt Chrysler Slant/6 and 318 engines, done body work and welding, designed and built a speech synthesizer board for my IBM PC back in 1983 - all of that while I was still in high school.
Naturally I've done much more since then. It's hard for me to relate to men that can't do simply plumbing I guess...
On Wed, 21 May 2014 15:11:04 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:

An example from last month:
<http://woodtv.com/2014/03/16/house-fire-after-water-heater-explodes/ The fire broke out just after 10 p.m. Saturday ... He said the family had replaced the water heater Saturday.
On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:27:41 PM UTC-4, Wally W. wrote:

The point Claire was responding to was not that WHs can cause fires. It was the part about the insurance company denying the claim for a DIY install that later caused the fire.