Water heater ignited problem?

I have a Rheem 21vp50-1: Gas, blower, electic igniter.
It stopped producing hot water yesterday. I think the problem is the igniter, but wanted to confirm my suspicion before buying an ignitor.
After turning the heater on/off many times, reading the diagram, and playing around, this is what happens:
1) turn ON switch 2) blower starts 3) vaccuum switch causes controller to click (disconnecting hose prevents this) 4) gas valve turns on (won't happen until after #3). I can smell the gas. 5) a controller clicks follows-I think this is for the igniter. 6) After ~20 seconds, it repeats 3-5, but no spark, glow or flame ever occurs
It seems like the controller is doing the right thing. About 1.5 years ago the controller was replaced, but the igniter was not.
Anyway, I'm not sure how to test the igniter. Perhaps I'll put a volt meter across the igniter inputs.
Any help is appreciated.
Kitt
check ignitor for continuity , if infinite or open , its bad

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 08:58:34 -0700, kefarrar wrote:

Read:
http://www.hvacware.com/user-cgi/hvaconfig.pl?reads83
On Oct 6, 11:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Thanks for you input. The ignitor did not have continuity. I ordered a replacement and now I have hot water. By the way, on the replacement (not OEM), the screw hole was not quite in the right place so I had to bend it and drill a new hole. This put the ignitor in the approximate place the old one was mounted.
Thanks. Kitt