Water Heater - gas quit

I've just installed a Whirlpool Water Heater with the Flame Lock safety system. There seemed to be a problem igniting the pilot light. I could hear the gas flowing but did not see a spark. Anyway, I thought I'd take a break (dinner) and get back to it later. When I went back, it seems I left the thermostat on and the gas control at Pilot. Now, the gas will not flow through the valve. I assumed the Flame Lock system noticed the no flame condition and shut off the gas. The Use & Care Guide does not have any instructions regarding resetting this condition. I watched Monsters Inc for a while, figuring time would reset it. It didn't.

Anyone know how to unlock this no flame condition?

Thanx Doug

Reply to
SixIsFun

Check out this forum:

Does that heater have a 120V AC connection? If so, turn it off for a minute.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I just purchased a 50 gal Whirlpool water heater from Lowe's just 3 weeks ago. Thinking that perhaps I may have the same problem at some point in the future, I sent a query, along with the URL of the forum thread you referenced, to American Water Heater (they manufacturer the Lowe's line of Whirlpool water heaters).

I received a *very* quick response from Mr. Ricky Kiser of their technical assistance department. The most likely cause of the problem appears to be the screen on the bottom of the heater. It apparently needs to be cleaned periodically. He said that in June of 2003, there was a design change made to a "scoop-type" burner to help address the problem. The screen still needs to be checked from time to time for lint and dust, but the design change will supposedly help to keep the screen clear.

Mr. Kiser also mentioned improper venting as a possible cause.

Here's a link to their Technical Assistance page:

Doug, this is probably the best source to find out how to get your water heater back up and running.

Reply to
Banister Stariwell

A quick follow-up...

I just received another reply from Mr. Kiser of American Water Heater regarding how to keep the screen clean. He stated that reaching under the water heater and wiping the screen with a damp cloth once every couple of months or so is all that's necessary. If you reach under the heater (obviously while the burner is off ), you'll feel the screen in a recessed area under the burner. It is a very fine screen, so I can see how it would get plugged up with dirt and lint from time to time.

I'm *very* impressed with American Water Heater and their quick, personal replies to my questions. It's very refreshing in this day and age of so many companies outsourcing their technical support to a gaggle of phone-droids who really could care less about your problem.

Reply to
Banister Stariwell

Thanx for the replies. My heart sank when I saw some of the complaints. I hope I don't run into any of these problems (once I resolve the problem). My prior water heater ran without any trouble. I usually hope to get better response from a new model.

Here's hoping.

Reply to
SixIsFun