Water heater flue and radon mitigation pipe in close proximity - fire hazard??

I had a radon mitigation system installed in my house prior to purchase. The other day, while doing some sealing in the attic, I noticed that they have the radon PVC pipe running right next to the water heater flue to get from the basement to the attic. You can see a couple pictures here:

Is it OK to have the radon pipe running next to the water heater flue? I checked with the city, but they claim the code only says to "install per manufacturer's instructions." Elsewhere I have heard there should be 2" of clearance between the flue and anything flammable. Is the PVC pipe considered flammable?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Reply to
mbasyro13

That looks OK to me. I don't know the codes but the flue on a modern heater doesn't get hot enough to damage the PVC. Look at it this way, if it were going to cause a problem it already would have. Use a flashlight and take a close look to see if the pipe has been melted. I'm guessing not but worth a look.

Reply to
Lawrence

PVC for use in building must have some fire retarding properties. That does not mean it cannot burn with another source of igniton. I doubt it is going to burn the house down, but get some clearance between them. Contact can eventually meld the PVC if it gets hot enough. Just a wedge to get an inch or so should do the trick.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

they're not old ones, best keep watch on the situation.

Joe

Reply to
Joe