Water Heater dripping like noise

Page 1 of 2
all of a sudden near my water heater in the garage something is making a dripping like noise
it sounds like it's the water heater, but no water is seen anywhere
the washing machine is on the other side of the wall, and a little less noise can be heard there
no water leaks to be seen what might this be? [about 2 drips a second]
thanks marc
On Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:40:36 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Does drain plumbing come down inside the wall? Washer is there, so some plubming is in the area. Any chance a condensate drain for an AC, like in the attic, is routed down through that wall, maybe to a basement sump pit?
If the WH had a leak, 2 drops a min, it wouldn't be long before water showed up on the floor.
turn off main water meter valve, open faucets hot and cold to depressurize the system......
does the dripping sound stop?

Gas or Electric? If it's gas, try using a flashlight and looking down the flue hole when it is heating water. You might see mist, indicating a leak in the flue.
A few years ago I began to notice occasional water on top of the water heater. Sometimes it would be there, sometimes not. I checked all of the pipes and fittings and they were always dry, even when there was water on top of the tank. It turned out that just below the top of the tank, a hole had rusting through the flue and mist would blow out whenever the tank was heating water. They mist would rise with the flue gases, make contact with the "inverted funnel" at the base of the external flue and drip back down onto the top of the water heater. If not noticed soon afterwards, it would evaporate.
Perhaps your flue is leaking someplace where you can't see it, and the condensation is dripping someplace, again, where you can't see it.

I heard water running in the basement and went to investigate, water was spraying out the top of the tank at the flue. it was a large leak.
got new tank next day.
thanks all, for ideas
will [have to] investigate further
marc
when I get back home, next week, I'll have to post a photo of my water heater set-up
marc
photos of my water heater setup
I don't know where to look for this dripping-like noise
http://imgur.com/15MBW6u
http://i.imgur.com/15MBW6u.jpg
http://imgur.com/d6z5B0b
http://i.imgur.com/d6z5B0b.jpg
http://imgur.com/IGptHsx
http://i.imgur.com/IGptHsx.jpg
marc
On Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:00:08 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Only thing I see there that's a bit unusual are the water stains on the sheetrock near the bottom. Is that from something you know about from the past? Any evidence it's wet now, ie that something is leaking inside the wall? The area around the bottom of the WH is all dry and it has a pan.

Funny that gas line line has no drip leg.
Greg
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:36:10 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

That's a good catch. I assume you still need one, even if it's hooked up with flex pipe, since the purpose, ie to catch any small debris that might come along before it goes into the valve, would be the same. The fact that it's missing would be another indication that whoever put it in didn't know what they were doing and it probably wasn't inspected either.
opening the outside wall today
the outside pipe is painted copper [it did look like pvc]
thanks marc
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:46:45 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As Derby suggested, I would not open the outside wall. Why do you want to do that instead of opening an interior wall? How do you plan on matching that stucco or whatever the outside finish is?
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:45:42 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I don't see any water on the inside of the wall.
If the pipe is copper it probably is from the TPR. If the pipe is dry then the TPR is probably not at fault or there would be water inside the room or the drip pan.
I suspect the laundry area.
There is no way I would open an exterior wall except as a last resort. I can patch interior much more easily.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:12:30 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

The drywall on both walls where the WH is has large water stains on the lower part.

+1
thanks all,
big change/break; a neighbor told about a leak in this house, above the water heater, in the wall; so I cut a few holes up there, and sure enough, there was the leak
[I thought I would have to move the water heater, to get at the inside of the wall; that's why the stucco seemed simpler]
Now it's just a leaking copper to PVC joint to fix
marc
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, That's good. But remember there is tool you can use to pin point a spot where water is leaking. Plumbing outfits have it. It is very sensitive high power microphone so to speak of. It can detect leaks right on.
for those interested leak revealed
http://imgur.com/94iuQWX http://imgur.com/kicaPbm [click on photo to enlarge]
thank goodness for my neighbor, pointing out the location; i would have started at the bottom, and would have removed the water heater, or worse, cut into the lower stucco, outside
thanks marc
On Friday, July 4, 2014 12:20:57 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the update, glad you found it so easy. And I agree, you got very lucky with the neighbor.
IDK what we're even looking at there. Never seen anything like it. They transitioned from copper to cpvc, but what kind of connection is that? It looks like it's a crimp? And what's that greatly reduced size elbow doing there? Good grief. You have to wonder what else they screwed that you don't know about.

Do you know why there is apparent water damage/stains at both points where the front of the platform connects to the wall?