Water heater drain connection

I'm installing an undersink 4.5 gal. water heater and need a good way to connect the 3/4" pressure relief valve to a 1-1/4" drain line. The only fittings I've found that come close to this is a dishwasher connection for 1-1/2" pipe. This would require re-plumbing the sink with pop-up stopper for 1-1/2" pipe.

Other possibilities would be to run it through a brick wall or just drain it into a container.

Any ideas? Do I need an air gap?

Thanks pb

Reply to
Pat

You could ask the local inspector, but I don't think discharging the superheated water/steam into the basin drain will fly.

I would rather see it dischg to the outside. Bring the pipe to

6" to 24" above ground level and aimed down.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Air gap definitely required to avoid possible cross-connection.

-- Best Regards, Dennis J Sunday Home Inspection Systems

Dennis J Sunday