Water Heater Combustion Smell

Page 2 of 2
Are they dangerous? Can you detect those with a CO meter? Name one product of natural gas that smells. Now be careful, you said product of combustion.
Bob wrote:

Sure it does not...but the exhaust from NG or LPG does.
Scare tactics? I havent seen any. You want scare tactics, you really should have been with me in the Gas Code class a couple of days ago... Lets see...nice pics of what to look for on a dead body to see if it was CO posioning (why we needed that I dont know) and a few local stories about people that went for months, had complained in the past about odors, and lost a kid, or a husband..etc.. Or the one that got me... The AC tech that got killed while working on a unit...the homeowner had tried to fix his furnace, and at some point, unknown to the tech, broken the bond to the gas line, and when he ran the new electrical to it, had a staple that had hit the hot leg, and the staple was making contact with the gas line...the tech reached for it and was electrocuted.
Nope..havent seen scare tactic one said in here...gas appliances CAN and DO kill homeowners.
CBHVAC wrote:

First, you are replying to do different comments. The op described the smell and it wasn't the smell of gas combustion. Complete combustion doesn't smell, most of the smell you get from burning gas, is not a gas combustion product, it is unburned gas and odors from the parts that get hot.
If you want to talk about meaningful numbers of deaths and injuries try talking about falling down in the bathroom. People die. However, accidents cause relatively few deaths, and accidents where a person did not do something really stupid such as drive drunk, not look first, not put the draino where the kid couldn't reach it, etc. result in very few deaths statistically. Most people die of heart disease. If they really cared, they wouldn't smoke, they would stop eating 2000 more calories per day than they burn, quit drinking 12 beers each night. The statistics say that CO deaths are practically non existent. As an individual precaution it makes sense, but as advice to another it is a wasted of time. They are going to die of something else.
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 00:54:54 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

CO kills. Bad smells probably won't. I didn't ask to have the heater checked for CO. The gas company decided that.