Water heater blows off

New house, ( for us), water heater is gas and about 5 years old. When we are away for days, I turn the well pump off and turn the water heater down to low. When I return, the blow valve at the top of the heater has let water escape on to the floor. I put a bucket under it and get maybe 1 or 2 cups of water. When we are home I never notice it blow off. The bucket stays dry? Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have a check valve between the water heater and well pressure tank? If so you need a small expansion tank at the water heater to allow for expansion. It appears that enough water is used when you are home to prevent the pressure from buiilding up, but not when you are away.
Dan

are
of
Water pressure falls and allows a space in the heater.
Turn the heater off with the pump and you will not have any more problems.
Might not hurt to change the TP valve. They are not designed for general use.
SQLit wrote:

You hit my suggestion exactly...if you're going to be gone long enough for it to be a significant energy savings, I'd kick it off entirely if you're kicking the pump off as well....if it <were> to pop, you'd continue to pump for the entire time or until the pump failed or the well were pumped dry, and then w/ the heater still on...all not a likely scenario but since it has seeped some, it would worry me.