Water Heater Blankets

Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch. In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated, but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding air is 35 degrees.....

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Have two blankets on mine. One over the other. They really help in the winter. In the summer, I can leave the thermostat on low and if I don't use a lot of water, the pilot will keep it warm.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

go outside and put your hand on the heater. How warm does it feel? Thats how much heat you are loosing. If it does not feel warm enough to snuggle up with, then a blanket wont do much.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Define "well".

I recently became very familiar with gas water heaters as I planned to replace mine. I have since done so.

The STANDARD insulation is R8. The high efficiency models are R16. R8 isn't much, IMHO.

No doubt.

Yes.

I have considered one myself but my heater is in our living (heated) space. With the exception of the months that I am cooling (a/c), there isn't enough to be gained adding a blanket for it to be worth the time and expense in my case. In your case, yes. As the other poster said he has done, you might even consider TWO. In an unheated space, they might pay for themselves in a few years.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

If it is outdoors I would. I don't think their insulation is designed for outdoors.

Better yet, I'd use an electric blanket.

Reply to
mm

Could you insulate the walls of the enclosure also? I assume the hot water line is insulated?

Reply to
Jeff

The standard 6 year heaters are not well insulated, they are usually R7. The better ones are still only R15 or so, not optimal for your 100+ degree differential. A blanket or two will absolutely help if the heater is outdoors.

The heater jacket doesn't really feel that warm to the touch as the steel shell rapidly gives up the heat. But *after* you put a blanket on it, place your hand underneath. It will be very warm indeed in there.

Dennis

Reply to
DT