Water heater blanket for furnace supply plenum?

We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The furnace itself is cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated.

Since the furance is in our unfinished basement, it seems logical to insulate the plenum right?

- Would a water heater blanket work well to insulate the plenum?

- Any other suggestions for insultating material? (I know regular fiberglass batts are cheaper but I don't know if they are rated for contact with a supply plenum)?

Also as a related question, we have a circa 2003 water heater who outside is barely warm to the touch (if at all). Would there still be any measurably signiicant benefit to wrapping it in a water heater blanket or is it already well insulated enough?

Thanks!

Reply to
blueman

*There is insulation made for ducts. You can usually buy a roll at a plumbing supply. I have seen small rolls at Home Depot.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Your ROI, return on investment is minimal for either of these in an unfinished basement. Heat rises.

Reply to
Colbyt

True about heat risin but still the 5 sides (floors & walls) are uninsulated stone & concrete so doesn't heat radiate there too. Even if "most" goes up into the house, doesn't the rest go out?

Reply to
blueman

True about heat risin but still the 5 sides (floors & walls) are uninsulated stone & concrete so doesn't heat radiate there too. Even if "most" goes up into the house, doesn't the rest go out?

Reply to
blueman

I would like warm floors and insulate around the perimeter of the basement/crawl space.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Heat also radiates downward and in all directions. A warm upstairs is still heating the downstairs, somewhat.

Insulating the basement will reduce overall energy consumption.

Reply to
zek

unless it allows the basement to get too cold and freeze water using appliances and lines

Reply to
hallerb

And HOW can insulating the basement allow the pipes to freeze when they don't in a non-insulated basement???? We are not tlaking insulating the loor between the basement and the main floor - we are talking insulating the outside walls of the basement - keeping the heat in. Thia way any heat lost by the furnace, hot water heater, duct work, etc - as well as heat lost through the floor, goes to heat the basement - keeping the floors warmer and reducing overal heating costs.

Reply to
clare