WATER HEATER BLANKET

Gas water heater is in the garage. Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

???

Reply to
Anonymous

Modern water heaters are very well insulated.......see if you can get the specs on your unit.

Compare the "feel" of the sheet metal on the water hear to a piece of sheet metal sitting in the garage.

If the piece feels cold & the water is not cold then you couls probably benefit from a blanket

If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough to keep the water hot. If the water never cycles during the night (or day with no water use) then a blanket might not be much help

Electric heater is a different story.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207
[...]

[...]

Are you in a windy area? Any chance that a blast of air under garage door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't be aware until...

Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered" from drafts?

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't be aware until...

Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered" from drafts?

Reply to
BobK207

Reply to
aspasia

And, in my town water heaters last only about 6 or 7 years because the (well) water has corrosive chemicals in it. I assume that if the heater had a blanket on it, that would have to be replaced at the same time. The amount saved on fuel will not pay for the blanket.

Reply to
Stubby

the blanket can be reused, fiberglass doesnt go bad over time. just remove carefully and put on new heater.

you might get more life out of your heaters by replacing the anode rods on a regular basis but i doubt its worth the trouble

work chance of leaks, damaged drain valve, stuck rod etc etc....

Reply to
hallerb

Water heaters dont sleep. Why would they need a blanket?

Reply to
emailaddress

Reply to
Rain