WATER HEATER BLANKET

Gas water heater is in the garage. Garage gets cold at night.
Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?
I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.
???
<rj>
<RJ> wrote:

Modern water heaters are very well insulated.......see if you can get the specs on your unit.
Compare the "feel" of the sheet metal on the water hear to a piece of sheet metal sitting in the garage.
If the piece feels cold & the water is not cold then you couls probably benefit from a blanket
If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough to keep the water hot. If the water never cycles during the night (or day with no water use) then a blanket might not be much help
Electric heater is a different story.
cheers Bob
[...]

[...]
Are you in a windy area? Any chance that a blast of air under garage door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't be aware until...
Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered" from drafts?
Aspasia
aspasia wrote:

door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't be aware until...
Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered" from drafts? <<<<<<
And this addresses the OP's question, how?
when the pilot goes out, the gas goes off & the water gets cold
Did you have a point to your post?
cheers Bob

Sorry, I assumed the flame would go out, but the gas would continue issuing. "Fools rush in..."
On my house wall heater, that's what I THOUGHT would happen, but will now run a test.
Thanks for heads-up.
Aspasia
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:41:33 -0700, aspasia wrote:

Don't most pilot light water heaters have thermal couples to prevent gas flow without a flame?

tom @ www.MyFastCoolCars.com
BobK207 wrote:

And, in my town water heaters last only about 6 or 7 years because the (well) water has corrosive chemicals in it. I assume that if the heater had a blanket on it, that would have to be replaced at the same time. The amount saved on fuel will not pay for the blanket.
the blanket can be reused, fiberglass doesnt go bad over time. just remove carefully and put on new heater.
you might get more life out of your heaters by replacing the anode rods on a regular basis but i doubt its worth the trouble
work chance of leaks, damaged drain valve, stuck rod etc etc....

Water heaters dont sleep. Why would they need a blanket?
I beilieve you will notice quite a difference if you do cover your water heater. The easiest and least expensive way to do it is simply use some good wall insulation. Just be sure you get none near the pilot light. The "blankets" look real pretty but not sure they are worth the price. Sometimes local electric companies will give you a great deal on them but not sure about gas. $20 at a home store will buy you more than enough insulation. <RJ> wrote: