water heater anode rod

Hi, This past weekend I checked the anode rod for a GE electric water heater. I noticed that it was encased in a varnish-like material that I was able to scrape off. I replaced the rod after scraping/filing, to reveal bright metal. Nevertheless, I wonder about this material, which presumably acts like an insulator.
Is this covering normal? Should I be periodically scraping this material off?
thanks in advance.
bob

No since of scraping it any longer since you just fucked it up BY SCRAPING THE COATING OFF!!!
Better buy a new one.....

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html
here's everything that you will want to know about your anode rod I'd suggest that the crap you scraped off is a result of the anode rod doing its job. considering a new rod cost 20~30 bucks, I'd replace it.
Dave
btw, for what its worth, I replaced the anode rod on my hot water heater to kill the rotten egg stink, and flushed with hydrogen peroxide and it worked fantastic!