Water Heater again!

Page 3 of 6
Some of these Bradford-White's have 2 thermo-piles and operate a vent dampe r motor that uses the voltage from one (or both) of the thermo-piles. There is a micro-switch in the vent damper...if this is out of position...the bu rner will not light. I've also had a bad connection (crimped spade) on a th ermo-pile that was replaced. Causing a loss of pilot flame.
Some of these Bradford-White's have 2 thermo-piles and operate a vent damper motor that uses the voltage from one (or both) of the thermo-piles. There is a micro-switch in the vent damper...if this is out of position...the burner will not light. I've also had a bad connection (crimped spade) on a thermo-pile that was replaced. Causing a loss of pilot flame.
Interesting! Thanks! I don't think that I have that kind but I might.

They do. It's a Bradford White. Not new but not old. This was installed 2 years ago.

Plumber did think of that but my garage is very clean. It's an odd little garage. Not big enough for a car. Maybe a Smart Car. I mainly use it for a pantry and other storage.
He did replace the pilot assembly and will be checking to see how the venting should be. He said on these newer units, everything is much more finicky.
Julie Bove wrote:

Perhaps have the gas company check? If it won't light at all it's probably not a chimney/draft issue. Are there other gas appliances that are working properly?

Plumber got it to light right away but he had difficulty moving the button. I said that happens. It's either easy to move or it's sticky. There are no other gas appliances. He does think the venting may be wrong for this kind of water heater but may have been fine for the old one.

New is relative - in a dirty environment it doesn't take very long for the honeycomb filter to get dirty.

Pilots for gas water heaters are still quite common. It's not an energy loss situation (like an oven range) because the heat from the pilot still goes into the water.
On 09/04/2014 09:00 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

My house is nearly 120 years old and the basement is pretty dusty and I've never had any such problem.
I've been informed that they still do make water heaters with pilot lights, so I know the OP is not trolling.
I did just recall however that I had a gas appliance (can't recall if it was a drier or a water heater) with a pilot light adjustment.
If it was set too low it would alway go out...I'd check that .
philo wrote:

Hi, It sure does. The adj. screw is in the gas vlve body. Little cap covers the hole which has adj. screw pilot flame. My camping trailer WH had it.
On 09/04/2014 02:48 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

This water heater stuff looks pretty straightforward
here is the first Google hit
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-pilot-light-47952.html
The contractor must be pretty inexperienced

They checked a variety of things. This particular guy was new to this company as of about a year ago. He fixed my sink prior. But I don't think he is new to the business. He did have a trainee with him. He put in a new pilot light assembly.
On 09/04/2014 06:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

But he apparently did not adjust it, so the guy must be very new..
probably you should call someone who knows how to do the job correctly

I don't know if he adjusted it or not. I was trying to watch but seeing as how I don't know what they were doing unless they told me specifically, well...
On 09/04/2014 09:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

You are entitled to ask

Yes. But I really don't think that was the problem. It is no longer getting the fault that it was since he changed the part.
On 09/05/2014 04:31 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

So you are saying that it's now fixed?

I guess that remains to be seen. The plumber never did get back to me but he said he might not until Mon. It is working now and there are no faults.

I had it set to the "hot" position. Well, prior to the plumber coming. I just got so fed up and frustrated that I turned it off. Water should be about 120 degrees at that setting. When he tested the water coming out of the tank, it was 105 which was odd. It had been running cold and had only been on for perhaps 10 minutes but he said that may have been enough, coupled with our unseasonably warm weather.
What wasn't right though was that 20 minutes after lighting the pilot, the water at that setting was 145. So that wasn't good. I did have two air fresheners sitting on the top of it. The kind in the plastic jars with the beads inside. One new, one opened. He said those could have caused a problem. Likely not but they could have.

They sure do.
On 09/04/2014 11:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OK