Water Heater again!

Does Moe seem like the kind of guy who would do or not notice any of those things? He doesn't seem like that to me. So your comment is simply contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. The sure sign of an asshole.

Pardon me, Zaky Waky, but I think you are the one acting like an asshole. Clare gets _far_ more respect than you do. phil k.

level indicator. They are GENERALLY very repeatable. I have never, personally, owned a car that the fuel guage would read too low one time and too high the next, and I've only had one that would effectively run out of gas before the guage showed empty - and on that one (1995 Pontiac TransSport) it wasn't a guage issue. If I hit rough road (washboad) with lessr than 1/4 tank the bottom of the plastic tank would shake so much the fuel pickup sucked air, and the engine ran out of gas. Bleed the air out of the injector rail, and it would start right up and go another 70km or more on smooth roads. Most cars are set up to turn on the low fuel warning with a 20 mile or 30km "reserve". I had one that when it said empty it WAS empty, and one that would go 100km after the guage stopped moving below empty - but both were CONSISTENT that way.
I DO zero my ODO at every fillup - and I DO watch the trip meter - but I watch the fuel guage to determine when I need fuel. My Ranger can give me 15MPG, or it can give me 27MPG - and that is a BIG difference in the number of miles I get on a tank!!!!!
Same with the Taurus. 22-34MPG depending on road conditions, fuel, speed, temperature etc, all on the same trip (3000 miles) over a 2 week period.
bob haller wrote:

Most experienced techs often over look simplest basic things. Some times green horns are better at trouble-shooting. Rule of thumb, don't leave out any even slightest possibility.

I have two of them now. They seem to be checking everything.

The gas pressure actually checked out fine.
On 9/4/2014 3:02 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear. Must be annoying. Did you want to ask the folks on this list for ideas? Maybe someone will have ideas what to check.
I can think of one or two, but you didn't ask.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/4/2014 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ha, Stormy, you nailed it - and her. Julie is into playing games. The game she plays is the classic "Yeah, but". That's the one where a person complains about something in order to get another person to reply with a suggested solution. But the complainer will shoot down every single suggestion with a "yeah, but", until the other person gives up in frustration. The longer the complainer can keep the game running, the more points she scores.
Julie's not here for solutions. She's here to play her game.
On 9/4/2014 8:35 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

YD/YB, as noted in Dr. Eric Berne's classic book, you think? Thanks for the head up, my friend. http://www.ericberne.com/games-people-play/why-dont-you-yes-but/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis
--
.
Christopher A. Young

What game? I said that I called the plumber. There are two of them here now. The tank is still under warranty but... I only have a one year warranty with Day and Nite.

The plumbers are checking it now. It's just frustrating that I have already paid enough out in repairs to at least equal the cost of the original tank and installation.
I would watch the pilot light flame with all the windows and doors in the house closed and the dryer and bathroom ceiling fan running.
I'm thinking that if the dryer is blowing air out of the house, make up air needs to get into the house somewhere, and we may have a situation where the downdraft through the water heater flue gas ducting may be causing a down draft through the water heater. The water heater may be fitted with a safety device which detects that "roll out" and shuts off the water heater, including gas to the pilot light.
I'm thinking that with the warm weather lately, people have their A/C running and would close their windows and doors to prevent the loss of that cooling to the outside, thereby preventing make-up air coming in anywhere except the water heater flue duct.
--
nestork

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:04:42 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Julie went through this whole thing months ago. WH is in the garage. And back then she said it made no difference if the garage door is open or closed. I wonder if there is a chance the garage is so airtight that shutting the garage door to the house could blow it out? I've never seen a garage that tight, but who knows.

We have been having really wacky weather. We did lose power late Tues. into Wed. morning. Plumber said a lot of people did have trouble during that time because of weird winds. And that makes sense. But it doesn't explain the pattern of it going out every three months, then two months, then monthly, weekly, daily, etc. And I had to relight it every day for at least a week. I didn't keep a record.
There is a bad part but... Is the part bad because the wrong venting made it go bad? That remains to be seen.

No other gas appliances and no AC.

Modern gas water heaters use a sealed flame arrestor chamber for the burner. This was mandated for those who put the WH in a garage where there may be flamable vapors.
The flame arrestor is usually implemented as a honeycomb like vent panel under the burner. Unfortunately, the very reason that this was implemented (garage location) makes the solution a PITA as garages tend to be dusty and dirty. The dirt quickly blocks the honeycomb vent and the oxygen sensor for the burner shuts the flame down.
Clean the honeycomb vent and see if your problem goes away.
On 09/04/2014 08:09 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

She said the water heater is new, so it should not be dirty yet.
OTOH, I just realized there is something fishy about this story... I don't think they even make water heaters with pilot lights any more.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:20:45 AM UTC-4, philo  wrote:

They make and sell lots of water heaters with pilot lights, they are the common, entry level models. I agree the story may be fishy, mainly because we went through this whole thing with Julie months ago, yet she's starting it up as if it's new.

They make and sell lots of water heaters with pilot lights, they are the common, entry level models. I agree the story may be fishy, mainly because we went through this whole thing with Julie months ago, yet she's starting it up as if it's new.
--

No I'm not. I repeated the story. It's a very similar story and it's
happening again. I do understand that the venting may well be wrong. But