Water Heater

Nate, I wholeheartily agree with all you've said, but why the expense of a dielectric nipple? just curious...

Reply to
nefletch

Helps the faucet not attract charged particles and thus corrode.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Should I try to make this change on a seven year old electric water heater? I'm concerned that if I do, the old one will break off instead of unscrew, and I'm replacing the hot water heater.

I'd like to find the valve shown in the YouTube video, but this brand doesn't seem to be around any more.

mcp6453

That's a decision only you can make. I managed to get two out that were far older (bought a house with old heaters in it) but you may not be so lucky. You pays your money and takes your chances.

That appears to be exactly what I was describing above, simply packaged all together. just a 3/4" ball valve. Not that it's not worthwhile, it doesn't appear any different than what I was able to cobble together in the plumbing section at my local Big Box. If you like ordering online, check out waterheaterrescue.com

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yes - for the record, I tried it with my 12yo one, figuring I'd replace the valve with something sane rather than the crap it had (and re-use it on the eventual replacement), but there was just no way the old one was coming off without cracking the plastic body.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Very good chance the dip tube in the cold water inlet has rotted off.

I believe it can be replaced.

If so, only the top few gallons would heat up. This applies to a gas tank, but not 100 % sure if an electric has a dip tube

Reply to
Ray

I'll bet your dip tube on your inlet fitting has broken off. If you have enough headroom, you can put a new one in.

Steve Barker

"Colbyt" wrote in news:UeGdncP4Q6vTp6vWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

Ditto

Ditto ditto

Reply to
Red Green

Puddin' Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

30 yrs old.
  1. Get a 3ft pipe wrench. 2. For punishment go to 5 3. Whack spout with pipe wrench 4 Shortcut taken so go to 8 5. Open valve with 3ft wrench. 6. After you're done it won't close fully. 7. Use 3ft pipe wrench to attempt removing spout 8. Broken spout at this point. 9. Replace heater.

Similar to spout deal.

BTW, where is this super senior citzen located? Warning: if you say anywhere in the house be prepared for a group assault.

Reply to
Red Green

They're right ... I spoke hastily.

I pull the anode out of a 15-20 year-old AO Smith, I had to finesse it, but it wasn't a big deal. Was a good read on the condition of the unit, too.

The drain tap is another matter. I've not used any. Take a peek at the cheap looking plastic thing on my Smith, I can imagine the problems described in the thread.

Next time I'll make no assumptions about eqp't I've not actually fiddled with.

Puddin' Man

Forget a electric tankless. Unless you want to upgrade your home electric service to 400 amps, with brand new service very very expensive. and even then if you live in cold area you may not have hot enough water.

it takes a lot of electric to heat water in a tankless. since it must heat water as it flows thru homes plumbing......

your far better off replacing old tank with a new one.

unless you have 5 grand to waste.........

Reply to
hallerb