water hammer weirdness

I have one of those auxilary spray hose thingies on my sink. It began to leak. When the leak started, so did the water hammer phenomena. Hot, cold, lo/hi flow, whenever I turned on the main faucet, I'd get water hammering. Finally replaced the leaky spray nozzle so the sprayer no longer leaked. The water hammering ceased, also. Can anyone explain what was happening? TIA

nb

Reply to
notbob

It hammered when turned on, not off? There is some sort of a valve in the spray assembly that keeps it off unless you pull the trigger. Sounds like that valve was marginal and when you replaced the sprayer you also got a new valve.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Whenever you turn on the sprayer it also operates a diverter valve that redirects water from the spigot to the sprayer. This works by sensing a pressure change when you sqeeze the trigger on the sprayer. Leaky sprayers will cause the diverter valve to chatter.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

+1...